What does your company do exactly?
We help programmers find great companies to work at. If you work with us, we'll go through a technical interview process with you and provide feedback on what we think your strengths and weaknesses are. We’ll match you with companies that are looking for people with your specific skill sets, and then fast track you through their hiring processes.
What’s the point? Why shouldn’t I just apply to companies directly?
There are several advantages to letting us help you through your job search:
- We save you time. Though you’re making an initial time investment by going through our interview process, afterwards we can fast track you through to final interviews at the companies you are interested in. Most candidates save hours that otherwise would be spent on phone screens. We turn an O(n) process into an O(1) process.
- We connect you to companies where you’re most likely to succeed. Companies differ widely in what skills they look for in engineers. For example, some companies really love academic programmers, while others think that being academic is a sign you won’t be productive. We’ve mapped these differences, and will identify companies where you’re a good fit.
- We connect you to companies you may not have heard of. Everyone has heard of Dropbox, Airbnb, and Stripe. But we can also suggest companies that you may not have considered before, or even heard of. We can get you in early with some of the most exciting new companies out there.
- We can connect you with the right people. If you’ve ever applied for a job through a company web site, you know that it can seem like your resume has been sent into a black hole. We can put you right in front of hiring managers or founders for a fast turnaround.
- We can vouch for your technical skills. Maybe your resume isn’t perfect. With us, that doesn’t matter. The companies we work with trust our ability to find hidden talent that other recruiters can’t.
Do you only work with programmers?
Yes. Right now we can only work with programmers who are looking for full-time work.
Where do you place engineers?
What things are you looking for in engineers?
We work with engineers from all different backgrounds. We don't care where you went to school - or if you went at all. We work with practical programmers who know how to get a job done. We also work with hard-core computer science theorists - and everything in between.
How much does it cost?
Nothing. Nada. Zip. The entire process is totally free for programmers.
Is any data from my quiz or interview shared with companies without my knowledge?
No. We will not share any information about you with companies until you’re ready. We will also ask you for companies to block in case your current or past employers are on our platform.
Do you teach people to code? Are you a bootcamp?
No, we are not a bootcamp. We expect that people who apply to our process already understand programming, and most people have some professional experience.
However, everyone still has something to learn. If you go through our interview process, we can give you tips on how best to improve your existing skill sets.
Can you find me an internship?
Right now we cannot help programmers find internships.
Do I need a work visa?
Unfortunately, the companies we work with CANNOT provide visas for candidates unless they are from Canada, Mexico, Singapore, Chile, or Australia. If you are not a US citizen or permanent resident, or from one of those countries, you will need to obtain your own H-1B visa before we can work with you.
We can also work with STEM students on an F-1 visa who are eligible for the 2-year OPT program.
The companies we work with CAN help transfer your H-1B visa if you already have one at another company.
Do you have remote opportunities?
No. Right now, most of the companies we work with are hiring full-time in-office engineers. In the future, we hope to offer more remote opportunities.
What is the process for signing up?
The first step is creating your online profile, and then we’ll ask you to take a short, multiple choice quiz, that usually takes people about half an hour.
What’s on the quiz?
The quiz has coding questions in several different languages, as well as some design questions. The coding questions involve reading blocks of code, and answering questions about them.
Can I restart the quiz once I've opened it?
Once you've started the quiz, you can leave and come back where you left off. However, you cannot restart the quiz. After four months, we can reset your application.
But I only know X language - why is the quiz in different languages?
The quiz is in different languages because we are looking at a lot of different skill sets. The questions use logic that is similar from one language to another, and also give us a chance to see how you work in a slightly unfamiliar environment.
We expect that the programmers who take our quiz will NOT be familiar with all of the languages on our quiz, and you do NOT need to know all the languages in order to do well on the quiz.
What happens after the quiz?
After the quiz, you may be asked to complete a coding challenge, which can be done in a language of your choice. Then, you will move on to our technical interview.
How are your interviews better than the industry norm?
We do a few things differently.
- We want to see you do what you’re good at. Everyone's bad at something. We work with companies that look for a bunch of different skills, and so we’re able to work with engineers who are skilled a in wide variety of different areas. Our broad technical interview is designed to find your personal areas of strength.
- We give personalized and candid feedback and encourage people to reapply. We want to help people improve and get better at showing their strengths during an interview. No form letters from us.
- We improve over time. Interviewing is our primary focus. We're continually analyzing our process, keeping the things that work and changing the things that don't.
What happens if I fail the interview? Does it mean I can’t apply to companies on my own?
No. Our interview is confidential. We will NOT tell any companies that you did not pass our interview, and it will NOT affect your ability to apply to or get a job at any company. We also know that our process makes mistakes, and we’ll encourage you to practice in a few areas, and re-apply to us in 4 months.
What happens if I pass your interview process?
We’ll talk to you at length about what you’re looking for, and come up with a list of exciting companies where you’re a strong fit. You’ll pick your favorites, and we’ll get you set up with final on-site interviews.
What types of companies do you work with?
We work with about 200 companies, from famous ones like Apple, Facebook, Dropbox and Stripe, to small startups like Medisas (saving lives by improving handoffs between doctors in hospitals), and Eve (building a new database and programming environment).
Do I still have to do interviews with the companies I get introduced to?
We’ll skip you over recruiter and phone screens, straight to each companies final interview. You'll still do the final interview with each company. This is a time-saving over several hours at each company.
What if I'm from out of town and need to fly in for interviews?
We'll organize everything: your flights, accommodation, and getting you around town once you’re here. You can focus on just being ready to meet some fantastic companies.
What if I don't find a company I'd like to work at?
That's completely fine! There's no pressure to work at a company we introduce you to. We'd love to keep searching for a company you do like or we can put things on hold - whichever you prefer.
What about salary/equity?
We hate salary negotiations. Hiring managers have an information advantage, and often make offers involving subtle details of equity that many programmers don’t understand. We correct this information asymmetry. We give our candidates accurate information on salary ranges, explain equity grants and tax implications, and help with the negotiation process. We can even handle the entire negotiation process for you if you don’t want anything to do with it. Our main goal is to make sure you get the offer you want. See the range of offers we get in our Software Engineer Salary data.