Senior Site Reliability Engineer
- East Bay, CA, United States
- Los Angeles, CA, United States
- New York, NY, United States
- Seattle, WA, United States
- San Francisco, CA, United States
- Silicon Valley, CA, United States
- Ruby on Rails
- Elastic Search
- Mobile apps
Senior SRE / Site Reliability Engineer, SAN FRANCISCO, CA
Who we are
Academia.edu has built and is expanding the premier distribution and peer review platform for academic research. Guided by our mission to accelerate the world’s research, Academia aims to make every academic paper ever published available for free online and accessible by anyone in the world. This is just the start of our long term vision and we are growing fast.
Through Covid-19 we’ve remained profitable and we’ve been able to continue our work without having to resort to layoffs. Academia’s platform has registered more than 178 million users and growing by 1-3M monthly. We have over 310,000 paying premium subscribers, which has contributed to revenue growth of 40-60% Y-O-Y, the past 4 yrs.
What we're looking for:
Our ideal candidates are not only great at what they do, but they also want to make a meaningful impact on our mission. Academia is hiring a Senior Site Reliability Engineer to join our team. At Academia, we believe SRE is a mindset and a set of engineering approaches to running better production systems - we build our own creative engineering solutions to reliability problems. SREs are responsible for the big picture of how our systems are designed for operability, how they relate to each other, and we use a breadth of tools and approaches to solve a broad spectrum of problems.
- 2+ years of experience as an SRE supporting production web infrastructure.
- 5+ years of overall software engineering experience in a development environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science and/or a wide range of relevant work experience.
- Extensive experience with AWS and Linux systems.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills Solid knowledge of web architecture and systems.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Experience with one or more configuration management tools (e.g. Ansible, Chef, Terraform, equivalent) Familiarity with one or more time-series and tracing monitoring tools.
- In-depth knowledge of one or more RDBMS (Postgres, MySQL, etc.).Experience with CI automation.
- Shell scripting and coding in one other language.
- Experience as a Lead or Sr. Engineer supporting a high scale B2C web development platform.
- Experience with Ruby on Rails at scale.
- Extensive Postgres experience.
- Strong knowledge of one or more NoSQL databases (MongoDB, Cassandra, etc.)
- Experience building and/or supporting Data Science or Business Intelligence teams.
What you will do:
- Participate in system design, redesign as we continue to grow.
- Deliver Ansible playbooks and Terraform modules that describe resilient architectural components.
- Contribute to best-in-class monitoring and self-healing Troubleshoot system infrastructure problems and bottlenecks and determine the best solution.
- Evangelize good systems engineering practices.
Academia has attracted $62 million in investment from leading VC firms including Khosla Ventures, True Ventures, Spark Capital, and Tencent. Our work has garnered favorable attention from trade and mainstream media including UK Times, Fortune, Wired, EdTech, Venture Beat, San Francisco Business Times, The Economist, The Washington Post, TechCrunch, Scientific American, and Forbes.
Benefits & perks
- Compensation & Benefits: Competitive salary, stock options, Flexible Spending Account (FSA) & DCA, & a 401k.
- Health & Self-Care: Paid medical, dental, & vision insurance for employees & their dependents. Flexible sick days, flexible hours, four weeks + 1 day (21 days) paid vacation, 11 holiday days, and paid parental leave. Standing desks.
- Convenience & Location: All Academia employees may work remotely through at least July 2021. As soon as San Francisco rules permit and we can safely re-open the office, employees may optionally work there. The San Francisco Office has free snacks & drinks. There are also on-site showers & bike storage. The office is located just a short walk to public transportation.
- Learning & Development: Budget for professional development, team building, and events. Free books.* Fun & Activities: Chess, foosball, piano, guitar, board games, juggling. Company retreats every summer. Weekly Bootcamp with our personal trainer.
- Before Covid-19 we had these cool activities, but now we’re all working remotely, so many of these activities are still done remotely and we have others in the works. * Paid Sabbatical: Six weeks of fully-paid sabbatical leave for every four years you work here.
Diversity and Inclusion: Academia is a proud equal opportunity employer and we are committed to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Academia is building a new distribution and peer review platform. Our mission is to accelerate the world’s research and make every academic publication available for free to anyone, anywhere, in any language, and in any format, and by doing so, advance the pace of scientific progress.
Academia.edu was founded in 2008 in San Francisco by Richard Price who recognized the need for open access to scholarly work while he was a doctoral candidate in philosophy at Oxford University.
Academia has built a network of Academics around the world who access our platform on the web and via native mobile apps to discover new research, collaborate, recommend and peer review papers, and gather feedback on draft research by participating in real-time collaborative sessions.
Academia’s platform has more than 178 million registered users and growing at over 2-3M per month. We have over 310,000 paying premium subscribers, which has contributed to 40-50% YOY revenue growth the last 4 years in a row.
Historically, Academic journals have controlled the publishing process. Usually, 2 peer reviewers evaluate the quality of a paper, and either reject it or approve it. It is then published by the journal and is put behind a paywall. It typically costs $50-$100 to get the paper out from the paywall. The process of submitting to publishing usually takes a minimum of 12-months or longer.
Academia’s mission is to disrupt this $19B industry.
We are remote-friendly so you can WFH from anywhere in the USA or Canada. You can also work in our office is located ~3 blocks from Montgomery BART in downtown San Francisco - Financial District.
We’re a Ruby on Rails shop, with React/Typescript on the frontend our native mobile apps are built for iOS with Swift and Android using Kotlin. All of our engineers are full-stack, and virtually all of them are computer scientists. We value and recruit computer science generalists, at Academia.
We have ~85 full-time employees and over ~40 in engineering.
Academia has raised over $62 million from a range of investors, including Tencent, Khosla Ventures, True Ventures, and Spark Ventures. The last round of 23 million was just announced in March 2022.
Academia is a proud equal opportunity employer and we are committed to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We run an open, transparent, and collaborative company. If our CEO gives a board presentation then the next day he'll show the same deck to all employees. Cash flow and product plans are openly shown to everyone. We value honesty, wisdom, and clear communication. We hire people that are kind, friendly, supportive, collaborative and genuine.
- Ruby on Rails
- Elastic Search
- Mobile apps
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.