Engineering Manager - ML/Data Platform
- East Bay, CA, United States
- San Francisco, CA, United States
- Silicon Valley, CA, United States
- Google Cloud
- Apache Spark
Afresh is on a mission to reduce food waste and increase access to nutritious food globally by transforming the fresh food supply chain. Our AI-powered solutions optimize the multi-trillion-dollar grocery industry's food ordering, production, and merchandising processes. We built the first platform capable of handling all of Fresh food’s complexities.
We are relentlessly focused on helping grocers reduce waste, increase profitability, and bring better, fresher food to their communities. Afresh is currently deployed in hundreds of grocery stores across the United States and is on track to reduce 30 million pounds of food waste per year with our existing customers alone. By 2021, we're aiming to reduce food waste by a quarter billion pounds per year.
We are a passionate team united by our mission to make an impact. As an Afresh employee, you’ll own meaningful work that will challenge you and change the future of how fresh, nutritious food makes its way through the supply chain.
We hope you’ll join us!
As a ML Engineering Manager, you will manage incredibly talented ML engineers in its pursuit to eradicate hundred of millions of tons of food waste every single year. We use cutting-edge AI (we’ve been published in ICML!) combined with thoughtful design to enhance decision-making and optimize store workflows. We are looking for a true coach to empower our team and a true partner to collaborate with others across Afresh as we work towards our mission of reducing fresh food waste and making fresh food fresher and more accessible.
What you'll do:
- Manage and develop the ML team and Afresh's production-scale ML system that uses deep-learning and other cutting-edge ML techniques to power store replenishment recommendations that have direct impact on the amount of food wasted
- Participate in key technical and design decisions as we push the capabilities and boundaries of our system
- Mentor and develop our talented ML engineers technically and professionally
- Scale up our impact by recruiting, interviewing, and hiring high-caliber ML engineers
- Contribute to company strategy and technical vision to increase our impact within our current deployments and broaden our impact in future applications
- Collaborate both with engineering and organizational stakeholders to execute on our short- and long-term roadmap
- Be a culture carrier for our culture of excellence, curiosity, collaboration, proactivity, candor, humility, and kindness
- 4+ years of combined professional software engineering experience as an engineering manager, tech lead, or ML engineer
- 2+ years of tech leadership or management experience, ideally in ML engineering or a related area
- Recent professional experience building, deploying, and managing production ML software and systems at scale
- Demonstrated management ability, including strong communication, coaching, and prioritization skills as well as high EQ
- Demonstrated ability to triage and solve open-ended, ambiguous systems-level problems
- Bachelors degree in a STEM field, ideally in computer science with a focus on ML. Advanced degree a plus but not required.
- The above represent attributes our ideal candidate possesses. We encourage all highly-qualified candidates to apply, even if they do not fulfill all the listed criteria.
Founded in 2017, Afresh is the first A.I.-powered fresh food optimization platform for grocery chains. We have partnered with several large grocers representing hundreds of stores and >$10B in revenue. Our cutting-edge AI research has been published in top journals (e.g., ICML). We’re backed by some of the top investors in grocery and tech including Innovation Endeavors (former Google CEO Eric Schmidt’s firm), Baseline Ventures (first money in Stitch Fix, SoFi, Heroku, Instagram), Food Retail Ventures, Maersk Growth, and Impact Engine.
We are building a vibrant, diverse, and inclusive team that embodies our company’s values: proactivity, kindness, candor, and humility. We aspire to continually grow as individuals and as an organization to live these values and realize our mission. We earnestly believe that Afresh represents a one-of-a-kind opportunity to have massive social impact at scale by employing novel technology—and to have a ton of fun along the way.
Afresh provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, pregnancy or related condition, or any other basis protected by law.
About Afresh Technologies
Afresh is a revolutionary new approach to fresh ordering, forecasting, and store operations for grocery retailers. Using cutting-edge technology (AI, ML, deep reinforcement learning, etc.), we build tools that help grocers and other supply chain constituents reduce food waste and maximize profit by forecasting demand and optimizing decisions.
Our four cultural values are: Humility, Proactivity, Humility and Kindness.
- Google Cloud
- Apache Spark
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.