Site Reliability Engineer
- San Francisco, CA, United States
- Google Cloud
- Apache Spark
Afresh is on a mission to reduce food waste and increase access to nutritious food globally by transforming the fresh food supply chain. By the end of 2021 we're aiming to reduce food waste by a quarter billion pounds per year!
Beyond helming our production infrastructure, the SRE team is the caretaker and standards-setter of all of Afresh’s internal systems. From automating continuous delivery pipelines to building out a unified single-sign-on identity platform, team members are singularly empowered to make sure that Afresh stays abreast of the latest methodologies for running a modern fully-in-the-cloud organization.
Our systems are written in Python and TypeScript and run fully containerized on top of Azure Kubernetes Service provisioned with Terraform. We deploy through CircleCI several times a day and rely on Datadog and Sentry to alert us when anything goes wrong.
If you're interested in building software to support our mission, we hope you'll join us!
What you will do:
- Orchestration: Provision containerized applications in Kubernetes clusters on Azure cloud infrastructure using Terraform and Azure SDK.
- Observability: Centralize all logs and metrics and build monitors that will roll back a deploy if the system misbehaves. Friday afternoon deploys should not phase you.
- Developer Relations: Act as a consultant to other engineering teams to enable them to build our platform and expand it in a consistent and secure fashion.
- Cloud Architecture: Use the best technologies to solve our expanding list of challenges without falling for the trope that “just because a famous huge company does it it’s the best solution for everyone.”
- Security: Firmly push back against anyone who tries to deploy unverified code that could lead to Afresh having to email all our partners apologizing for losing their data or placing fraudulent orders.
- Outlook: You are comfortable digging into other people’s source code in search of the root cause of a problem and you automate all the things.
What skills and experience do you need?
- You have packaged code in Docker containers and written Kubernetes manifests to deploy them to one of the major cloud providers.
- You understand the meaning of infrastructure-as-code and have used frameworks like Terraform and Ansible to automate provisioning new cloud resources.
- You are able to solve problems in distributed GNU/Linux systems and are comfortable tracing requests across applications, systems and networks.
- When the perfect tool wasn’t available you wrote one yourself and taught others how to use it.
- You know the difference between authentication and authorization and have horror stories to share about why shared passwords and unrestricted access are evil.
The above represent attributes our ideal candidate possesses. We encourage all highly-qualified candidates to apply, even if they do not fulfill all the listed criteria. About Afresh Founded in 2017, Afresh is the first A.I.-powered fresh food optimization platform for grocery chains. We have partnered with several large grocers representing hundreds of stores and >$10B in revenue. Our cutting-edge AI research has been published in top journals (e.g., ICML). We’re backed by some of the top investors in grocery and tech including Innovation Endeavors (former Google CEO Eric Schmidt’s firm), Baseline Ventures (first money in Stitch Fix, SoFi, Heroku, Instagram), Food Retail Ventures, Maersk Growth, and Impact Engine.
We are building a vibrant, diverse, and inclusive team that embodies our company’s values: proactivity, kindness, candor, and humility. We aspire to continually grow as individuals and as an organization to live these values and realize our mission. We earnestly believe that Afresh represents a one-of-a-kind opportunity to have massive social impact at scale by employing novel technology—and to have a ton of fun along the way.
Afresh provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, marital status, pregnancy or related condition, or any other basis protected by law.
About Afresh Technologies
Afresh is a revolutionary new approach to fresh ordering, forecasting, and store operations for grocery retailers. Using cutting-edge technology (AI, ML, deep reinforcement learning, etc.), we build tools that help grocers and other supply chain constituents reduce food waste and maximize profit by forecasting demand and optimizing decisions.
Our four cultural values are: Humility, Proactivity, Humility and Kindness.
- Google Cloud
- Apache Spark
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.