- San Francisco, CA, United States
Airtable’s backend presents many unique challenges and opportunities for designing and architecting complex systems. Our purpose-built relational database engine supports realtime synchronization between different users, revision history, a type system, and an engine that supports formulas and dependencies/constraints.
As a back-end engineer you'll contribute to the database engine and formula engine that power Airtable bases. Unlike single-purpose apps, we think of Airtable as a horizontal toolkit composed of intuitive building blocks that people can repurpose to create their own applications. Our product roadmap is filled with interesting enhancements and additions to this toolkit that greatly expand the boundaries of Airtable's capabilities.
What you'll do:
- Architect and scale complex systems like our realtime database engine, revision history, and formula engine.
- Design core pieces of Airtable’s infrastructure, optimizing for long-term maintainability, performance, and reliability.
- Build and scale systems for monitoring, tracing, profiling, debugging, and deploying Airtable.
- Take full ownership and responsibility for building, shipping, and maintaining core Airtable features, end-to-end.
Who you are:
- You have experience in databases, distributed systems, and backend performance measurement and optimization.
- You derive joy from refactoring and abstracting in order to make complex systems fun to develop on and easy to understand.
- You have a strong background in computer science and mathematics.
Airtable was founded on the belief that software shouldn’t dictate how you work—you should dictate how it works. Our mission is to democratize software creation by enabling anyone to build the tools that meet their needs. Creators and creatives around the world use Airtable to do everything from cattle tracking to filmmaking. See our Airtable Universe gallery for examples of what people are doing with Airtable.
People from all walks of life and every corner of the globe use Airtable to get their work done. Over 100,000 organizations run on Airtable—from massive Fortune 500 companies to small nonprofits. They’ve created their own custom software for everything from managing viral video production, to planning UX research projects, to handling lost and found items at music festivals, to saving endangered languages ( https://try.airtable.com/case-studies ).
We're sweeping across certain industries: for instance, in the media vertical, our paid customers include Netflix, Buzzfeed, Condé Nast, Group Nine, HBO, Starz, Spotify, Hearst, Time, NYTimes, and CBS. Other innovative companies like WeWork, Clover Health, and Zapier are powered by Airtable nearly wall to wall, and we're a major part of their ability to innovate at scale.
We recently raised a Series E, bringing our total amount raised to $455M in funding from notable investors including Benchmark, Thrive, Coatue, CRV, Caffeinated Capital, Freestyle Capital, and D1.
We love polymathic people with open-mindedness and intellectual curiosity.
Our Engineering Values: - Bonded by Love for Product - High Quality Code Base - Start-to-finish Ownership - Actively Practices Inclusion - Open Communication - Flexible Work Arrangements
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.