- San Francisco, CA, United States
Airtable’s backend presents many unique challenges and opportunities for designing and architecting complex systems. Our purpose-built relational database engine supports realtime synchronization between different users, revision history, a type system, and an engine that supports formulas and dependencies/constraints.
As a back-end engineer you'll contribute to the database engine and formula engine that power Airtable bases. Unlike single-purpose apps, we think of Airtable as a horizontal toolkit composed of intuitive building blocks that people can repurpose to create their own applications. Our product roadmap is filled with interesting enhancements and additions to this toolkit that greatly expand the boundaries of Airtable's capabilities.
What you'll do:
- Architect and scale complex systems like our realtime database engine, revision history, and formula engine.
- Design core pieces of Airtable’s infrastructure, optimizing for long-term maintainability, performance, and reliability.
- Build and scale systems for monitoring, tracing, profiling, debugging, and deploying Airtable.
- Take full ownership and responsibility for building, shipping, and maintaining core Airtable features, end-to-end.
Who you are:
- You have experience in databases, distributed systems, and backend performance measurement and optimization.
- You derive joy from refactoring and abstracting in order to make complex systems fun to develop on and easy to understand.
- You have a strong background in computer science and mathematics.
Airtable's mission is to democratize software creation. Our product allows anyone to create with a platform that anyone can use to build their own tools and workflows. See our Airtable Universe gallery for examples of what people are doing with Airtable ( airtable.com/universe ).
We're sweeping across certain industries: for instance, in the media vertical, our paid customers include Buzzfeed, Condé Nast, Group Nine, HBO, Starz, Spotify, Netflix, Hearst, TIme, NYTimes, and CBS. Other innovative companies like WeWork, Clover Health, and Zapier are powered by Airtable nearly wall to wall, and we're a major part of their ability to innovate at scale.
People don't just use Airtable, they love it (https://twitter.com/airtable/timelines/566728799115440128?lang=en ).
We recently raised a series C, bringing our total amount raised to $170M in funding from notable investors including: Benchmark, Thrive, CRV, Caffeinated Capital, Freestyle Capital, Data Collective, Founder Collective, and CrunchFund.
Our team brings experience from building and scaling products touching millions of people at Google, Facebook, Dropbox, Microsoft and other leading technology companies. More about us: https://airtable.com/about
Our company is built upon a philosophical commitment to providing the best possible experience for the end user, even if it requires going to great lengths in engineering and design effort. We plan on building this company for decades to come, and while we love rapid iteration where it makes sense, we also take the time to make farsighted architectural decisions and place great emphasis on code quality over raw speed.
We love polymathic people with open-mindedness and intellectual curiosity.
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.