Senior Software Engineer (Back-End) - Search and Discovery
- San Francisco
- Ruby on Rails
The Search & Discovery team's charter is to surface the best personalized listings for a renter. Renting is a stressful process. During the 2-4 weeks that a typical renter is looking for a new home, they go online every day to look for more options and evaluate their choices. We won't rest until they come back to Apartment List every day, and nowhere else.
Here's what you'll do as part of the team:
- Build the high-performance services that power Apartment List's search experience for our website and mobile apps.
- Use the right tool for the job. Our backend is powered by Ruby, PostgreSQL, Kinesis, Elasticsearch, and Redis, and we are always open to new ideas on how to make us more productive.
- Make full-stack contributions to a variety of codebases, from our core API to our primary web application written in Rails 5 and React
- Interact closely with your teammates in product management, web and mobile engineering teams.
- Collaborate closely with the larger engineering team.
And here are the skills and experience you'll need to be successful:
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Information Security, Information Systems, Engineering or related, or equivalent work experience required.
- 5 years of experience in organizations with a solid engineering process and an emphasis on delivering highly scalable and highly performant services.
- Passionate about building out the full stack, from scalable backend services to frontend UIs that are critical to the re-engagement experiences.
- An incredible attention to detail and are able to implement creative and technically sound solutions to product challenges.
- Solid understanding of databases, REST, MVC, concurrency, scalability, and queues.
- Can write solid code utilizing appropriate design patterns, data structures, and algorithms.
- Ability to balance reusability with YAGNI.
- Write tests and think about security out of habit.
- You have a strong understanding of computer science fundamentals.
- You stay on top of the latest and greatest advances in the industry -- and understand how to determine the right time to adopt them.
And here is what's in it for you:
- Mentorship and training to get you onboard quickly and to learn new development skills.
- Encouraged to explore new technologies and to adopt them in our product development.
- Empowered to participate the whole development cycle, and drive important product decisions.
Apartment List is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status.
About Apartment List
At Apartment List, our mission is to find you a home and our method is trust and transparency. With tons of homes and apartments for rent in almost every state, city, and neighborhood across the nation, we‘re here to help you find your next home.
Here’s how it works: first, we get to know you. You’ll answer a few simple questions and we’ll find the best matches – just for you. Then, we mix and match your personalized results, making it easy to discover places with the perfect combination of price, location, and amenities. From there, we help you figure out which listings are best to visit and eventually lease, showing you up-to-date pricing and availability, rent specials, and much more. After all, everyone deserves a home they love.
Its a value-driven culture. We are very customer-centric and very employee forward.
- Ruby on Rails
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.