- East Bay, CA, United States
At Atom Computing, we are developing a quantum computer based on optically-trapped neutral atoms. To run this computer, a multitude of classical optical and electronic systems operate in concert to drive the quantum dynamical processes responsible for real quantum computation. We are seeking skilled software engineers with enough background in physics and mathematics to work across the stack with us while we build out the capabilities of our apparatus. While we definitely welcome candidates with a formal degree in physics or a related quantitative field,
enough background is a very subjective term: you don't need to have a physics background at all if you are excited to learn what you need as you go.
- Develop software for quantum computing operations and quantum information protocols (Python, machine learning).
- Develop and test software drivers for laser and RF control systems and automation protocols for configuration, monitoring, and control of a complex scientific system (Python + asyncio, C/C++).
- Help develop and maintain the database-backed infrastructure that we use to manage apparatus calibrations and tunings, as well as the data flows for specifying, executing, and analyzing the results of quantum logic programs (Python, SQL).
- Contribute to the improvement of our software architecture by writing clean, well-tested, well-documented code.
- Participate in code reviews (Git/Gitlab) and in system-level testing and debugging.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, or a related field.
- At least 2 years of relevant professional experience as a software engineer. Experienced candidates and PhDs welcome.
- Temperamentally suited to work at a fast-growing, early stage startup: self-motivated, humble, driven, collaborative, and having a high tolerance for ambiguity and uncertainty.
- Profiency with Python and/or C/C++.
- Familiarity with Git version control, automated testing, and software development best practices.
- Willingness to learn some atomic, optical, laser physics, and quantum mechanics concepts to put work in context.
- Familiarity with SQL, Julia, embedded or real-time operating systems, and FPGA development experience a plus.
- Some experience using basic machine learning methods (Bayesian inference, maximum likelihood estimation) will be helpful for participating in building out and integrating software tools for quantum state and process tomography.
About Atom Computing Inc.
Atom Computing is developing a quantum computer based on optically-trapped neutral atoms. Our quantum computer is a hybrid quantum/classical system. The optical and electronic systems that manipulate and read out the quantum information are controlled by classical electronics and software systems.
We value smart people without delusions of grandeur. We are driven by results over marketing hype. Building a quantum computer is complicated, so we keep simple things simple and strive to keep politics and bureaucracy to a minimum. We understand that there is more to life than work—we have unlimited PTO and everyone actually takes vacation.
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.