Senior Backend Engineer
- Los Angeles, CA, United States
- New York, NY, United States
- San Francisco, CA, United States
- Silicon Valley, CA, United States
- $100k - $150k
- 0.10% - 0.15%
Architect & lead one of the most impactful project of a generation: rethinking human communication, starting with the deaf & hard-of-hearing
Ava started as a mobile and cloud-based deep-learning system able to uniquely daisy chain mobile devices' microphones to accurately live transcribe any conversation. As users brought it in masse at work and school, the platform quickly added human curation through live professional transcribers, multiple languages, and web / desktop compatibility.
We're looking for an experienced Backend Developer to empower a sharp AI-driven engineering team and the architecture of our systems to be able to reach the next level of scale.
If you've successfully built and scaled systems, including with other engineers, and are able to articulate well together business, product and technical challenges to build a robust backend, and you are now looking to make a huge impact on society, this would be a real ideal position for you.
About this Role
You'd be perfect for this role if:
- You have a strong desire to manage, empower and grow a team of engineers from 5 to 50, wanting to really prove yourself as a great engineering leader.
- You still want to grow your technical chops, and expect to contribute technically in a meaningful way — this is a startup environment.
- You've built yourself great quality products that have reached a large audience, and have been involved in key decisions regarding building systems for a large scale.
- You can learn technologies as you go, exceptionally fast. To you, technologies are about tools and tradeoffs, not an ideology.
- You care and can think deeply about the business implications of our engineering work. You're not just going after cool stuff — you understand the balance between craft, speed, and the bottom line.
- You're a great and articulate communicator.
- Bonus: You've led or had a senior role within an engineering team before, in a high-growth environment and helped built a strong engineering culture.
- Bonus: You've designed complex systems among them: call centers, real-time peer-to-peer communications.
- Bonus: You're very familiar with Node.js, React.js, Typescript, WebRTC
- Bonus: MS in Computer Science in top university
So... what will you do as a Head of Engineering at Ava?
- You'll review & elaborate an ambitious but realistic engineering roadmap, in collaboration with all stakeholders, in particular our AI Lead, CTO and Product Lead - and keep it current.
- You'll take a meaningful ownership in solving some of our complex challenges - around scalability, stack complexity across platforms and necessary technologies to adopt.
- You'll constantly keep an eye on the big picture to prepare the team to new challenges that might come up.
- You'll manage a team of 6 engineers quickly growing to 12+, using effective practices to help everyone deliver and you will be instrumental to build a great engineering culture.
- You'll articulate our technological choices & approach alongside our CEO to investors and other key stakeholders
What's special about this role?
- Meaningfully impact lives, at scale: How often do you hear about apps that make people cry of joy? The need for more social justice is strong, and it is really for us a unique opportunity and privilege to be able to meaningfully improve the lives of 100,000s of people - and yet to still be at the very beginning of our mission!
- Join us at an incredible time: We're well-funded and hit product-market fit, which gives us a huge green field to work with. You'd join at the perfect time to shape our engineering culture, what we build and how we grow, so we can create a more inclusive world.
- Work with some of the best people in the world: We have an incredibly talented and passionate team that is a lot of fun to work with. We're still super small and have accomplished some things that were thought impossible!
- Tackle our most interesting and impactful problems: Our team is still small, and people wear many hats. We're facing challenges of scale and want to ace this next phase. This is your shot at shining and making a huge difference based on your experience and technical vision.
We want to radically improve how we humans communicate with each other. Our core mission at Ava is to empower 466M deaf and hard-of-hearing people to live in a fully accessible world. Every day, millions of people are excluded from conversations because they cannot hear what others say well. Our CEO Thibault grew up in a Deaf family & witnessed firsthand how the world was not accessible for them. Together with our CTO Skinner — deaf since age 2 — Thibault co-founded Ava to make live captioning of conversations as easy as turning on captions on TV.
Our small but fast-growing team has reinvented AI-based speech recognition technology to be in service of people who need it the most. We dream of a 24/7 accessible world, without any communication barrier. In this pursuit, we're seeing how critical communication skills are, yet very far from ideal, to unleash our collective potential. This is for us the ultimate barrier we need to lift.
Our belief is that well-designed technology can help everyone communicate and connect better — much more effectively & authentically — so humanity can achieve the greatest things together.
Hands on dreamers! With singularity and acceptation. No micro management and always looking to improve ourselves
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.