- New York, NY, United States
- Ruby on Rails
Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products and content that inspire people to get away more. In support of our mission, we are seeking a Software Engineer II to join our Engineering team.
Want to help us transform the travel industry? The ideal candidate will be a highly collaborative engineer, working cross functionally to build delightful experiences and help our platform better support our evolving business. You will report into our Engineering Manager and this position will be based in our SoHo office.
As a company that values diversity, equity, and inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this opportunity. We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, Anti-racism training and bias prevention initiatives, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their authentic selves to work.
What You'll Do:
- Collaborate with talented designers, product managers, and fellow engineers to build and design new features for Away web properties, including both e-commerce and editorial experiences
- Connect our online experiences with our retail experiences
- Help us transition our front-end from Backbone to React, Redux, and next.js.
- Extend our Solidus based (Ruby on Rails) backend application
Who You Are:
- 2+ years of professional software development experience
- Experience working with two or more from the following: front-end web components, restful API design, data modeling, infrastructure, accessibility, performance, security
- Experience working with or building APIs from data modeling, to controller logic, to views/serializers in frameworks such as Ruby on Rails
- Experience with e-commerce platforms, bonus for Spree and/or Solidus
- Experience with AWS, Heroku, or similar IaaS or PaaS providers
- Hard working with a
no task is too smallattitude
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Passionate about travel (but that’s a given!)
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
Away is dedicated to hiring a diverse workplace that celebrates an inclusive culture and a sense of belonging. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
Away is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Quite simply: we make everything you need away, and nothing you don’t. We started with the perfect suitcase, then built from there, creating a range of travel standards developed from the travel stories of friends and seatmates. Our pieces aren’t “smart,” they’re thoughtful, with features that solve real travel problems and premium materials chosen to be resilient and beautiful. The result is a group of travel standards that help you find your way by staying out of it.
The company is evolving, so the needs of the business today are different from the needs of the business in the (not too distant) future. To meet these needs, we promote a culture of learning and feedback. We constantly strive for growth and improvement—as individuals, teams, and a company-- so all employees are responsible for sharing feedback that’s timely, constructive, and kind.
We’re creating an environment where you’re encouraged to take thoughtful risks and learn from your mistakes. We also follow an accountability framework and performance review process to ensure we’re dedicating time to reflect, crystalize and share takeaways so we can all learn, grow and develop, together. We believe a learning culture does not prioritize our personal growth over the needs of the business; it finds growth within meeting the needs of the business. There is so much opportunity at Away--the business is growing quickly and with that the expectations and demands for each function and role rise continuously. You'll be asked to take on new challenges and rise to the occasion!
We know the culture we’re building is not for everyone, but if you value radical transparency, excellence from your teammates, and want to achieve exceptional accomplishments, we’re the right place for you!
- Ruby on Rails
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.