- New York, NY, United States
- Ruby on Rails
We are a global lifestyle brand built on transforming the travel experience. In support of our mission, we are seeking an Engineering Manager to join our team.
Our Engineering team develops digital experiences to transform ideas into products that form delightful human connections. We build and support the technologies that power the digital side of our business, from our customer facing website to order fulfillment.
Want to help us transform the travel industry? The ideal candidate will be a highly technical, thoughtful people manager who will work closely with Digital Product and UX to create and ship scalable product experiences. You will report to the Director, Application Engineering and be based in our Soho office.
As a company that values inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for the position. We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, Anti-racism training and bias prevention initiatives, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their authentic selves to work.
What you’ll do:
- Manage a remote team of software engineers
- Plan, strategize, execute, and own overall success of complex technical projects
- Collaborate with Product Management, UX, and Project Management teams to design and develop customer facing digital experiences, APIs, and backend systems
- Recruiting and career development of team members
- Be a technical leader and contributor to projects, including coding, code reviews, and architectural discussions
- Help iterate on our software development and agile processes
Who you are:
- 5+ years of professional programming experience
- 2+ year of technical leadership and people management experience
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages
- Experience with Azure, AWS, Heroku, or similar IaaS or PaaS providers
- Team player with a
no task is too smallattitude
- Enjoys working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Passionate about transforming travel (but that’s a given!)
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
Away is dedicated to hiring a diverse workplace that celebrates an inclusive culture and a sense of belonging. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
Away is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Quite simply: we make everything you need away, and nothing you don’t. We started with the perfect suitcase, then built from there, creating a range of travel standards developed from the travel stories of friends and seatmates. Our pieces aren’t “smart,” they’re thoughtful, with features that solve real travel problems and premium materials chosen to be resilient and beautiful. The result is a group of travel standards that help you find your way by staying out of it.
The company is evolving, so the needs of the business today are different from the needs of the business in the (not too distant) future. To meet these needs, we promote a culture of learning and feedback. We constantly strive for growth and improvement—as individuals, teams, and a company-- so all employees are responsible for sharing feedback that’s timely, constructive, and kind.
We’re creating an environment where you’re encouraged to take thoughtful risks and learn from your mistakes. We also follow an accountability framework and performance review process to ensure we’re dedicating time to reflect, crystalize and share takeaways so we can all learn, grow and develop, together. We believe a learning culture does not prioritize our personal growth over the needs of the business; it finds growth within meeting the needs of the business. There is so much opportunity at Away--the business is growing quickly and with that the expectations and demands for each function and role rise continuously. You'll be asked to take on new challenges and rise to the occasion!
We know the culture we’re building is not for everyone, but if you value radical transparency, excellence from your teammates, and want to achieve exceptional accomplishments, we’re the right place for you!
- Ruby on Rails
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.