- New York, NY, United States
- Ruby on Rails
Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products and content that inspire people to get away more. In support of our mission, we are seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join our Engineering team.
Want to help us transform the travel industry? The ideal candidate will be a passionate, forward thinking thought-leader that is adept at creating elegant, future-facing experiences and technologies. This person should be comfortable mentoring more junior engineers and having ownership over projects from development to release. They will be developing technology solutions, working closely with a variety of stakeholders including our Digital Product and User Experience teams. You will report into our Engineering Manager and be based in our New York City office.
As a company that values diversity, equity, and inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this opportunity. We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, Anti-racism training and bias prevention initiatives, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their authentic selves to work.
What you'll do:
- Collaborate with talented designers, product managers, and fellow engineers to build and plan new features for web properties, including both e-commerce and editorial experiences
- Write robust, scalable, well-designed software that delivers great value to the business, is easy to maintain, and well tested
- Push and refine our technology, user experience, and creative practices
- Create online experiences our customers love that seamlessly tie in with our retail experiences
- Help us transition our front-end from Backbone to React, Redux, and next.js
- Extend our Solidus based (Ruby on Rails) backend application
Who you are:
- 5+ years of professional software development experience
- Experience with one or more general purpose programming languages
- Skilled at RESTful API design
- Experience with Azure, AWS, Heroku, or similar IaaS or PaaS providers
- Experience with data streaming platforms like Apache Kafka
- Hard working with a
no task is too smallattitude
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Passionate about travel (but that’s a given!)
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study, or equivalent practical experience
Away is dedicated to hiring a diverse workplace that celebrates an inclusive culture and a sense of belonging. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
Away is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.
Quite simply: we make everything you need away, and nothing you don’t. We started with the perfect suitcase, then built from there, creating a range of travel standards developed from the travel stories of friends and seatmates. Our pieces aren’t “smart,” they’re thoughtful, with features that solve real travel problems and premium materials chosen to be resilient and beautiful. The result is a group of travel standards that help you find your way by staying out of it.
The company is evolving, so the needs of the business today are different from the needs of the business in the (not too distant) future. To meet these needs, we promote a culture of learning and feedback. We constantly strive for growth and improvement—as individuals, teams, and a company-- so all employees are responsible for sharing feedback that’s timely, constructive, and kind.
We’re creating an environment where you’re encouraged to take thoughtful risks and learn from your mistakes. We also follow an accountability framework and performance review process to ensure we’re dedicating time to reflect, crystalize and share takeaways so we can all learn, grow and develop, together. We believe a learning culture does not prioritize our personal growth over the needs of the business; it finds growth within meeting the needs of the business. There is so much opportunity at Away--the business is growing quickly and with that the expectations and demands for each function and role rise continuously. You'll be asked to take on new challenges and rise to the occasion!
We know the culture we’re building is not for everyone, but if you value radical transparency, excellence from your teammates, and want to achieve exceptional accomplishments, we’re the right place for you!
- Ruby on Rails
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.