- East Bay, CA, United States
- Seattle, WA, United States
- San Francisco, CA, United States
- Silicon Valley, CA, United States
- $150k - $170k
- 1.0% - 1.5%
As a Back End Data Engineer, you will lead Bazze’s data operations. This includes everything from writing extensible code to performance monitoring and optimization. You will design and implement features used by research scientists, intelligence analysts, and economic forecasters, in countries around the world. You'll be an integral part of a small engineering team that is passionate about building great software. You will have the technical freedom to lead the architecture for best in class performance and reusability.
- Work closely with the CTO in order to ensure the quality, performance, and usability of our product
- Write high-performance code for processing and querying large amounts of geolocation data
- Ensure we have the proper backend resources to meet the demand of our customers
- Be responsible for the overall performance of the system - monitoring, scaling, fixing issues as they arise
- Review designs and code with the engineering team
- Troubleshoot pre- and post-production implementation
- Propose new ideas when there is strong business value and stay up to date on the latest technology trends and techniques
- Provide creative ideas and introduce cutting-edge technology.
- Proficiency in writing production-quality code, preferably in Python. Scala is also good.
- Experience building scalable data platforms - previous SaaS experience preferred
- Experience designing REST API’s
- Proficiency with Spark - writing code, scaling, and optimization
- Strong familiarity with the AWS ecosystem - especially Athena, Redshift, Glue, EMR, Lambda, API Gateway, CloudFront, SNS
- Strong familiarity with map/reduce programming models
- Experience working remotely and asynchronously (Slack, Google Drive, Trello)
- Deep understanding of all things “database” - schema design, optimization, scalability, etc.
- Desire to set the culture and build engineering excellence from the ground up
- Experience with building ML models from the ground up
- Experience working with huge data sets
- Devops experience - automating workflows
- Database and Systems Design, Scala, Data Science
About Bazze and Company, Inc.
Founded in 2018, Bazze and Company is based in San Francisco's Mission District and has two people, Jason Haas & Sammy Semwangu. We are a bootstrapped startup with $2M+ in annual sales and will hire 2-3 engineers in the coming months.
Bazze partners with U.S. and European governments to solve their hardest foreign policy challenges. Our API and web application products transform how these institutions acquire and use publicly available information to understand the spread of COVID-19, protect U.S. personnel overseas, and more.
Sammy and Jason believe government can be a force for good, and technology companies can play a meaningful role in supporting government to that end. They also believe that Bazze needs to be a diverse and inclusive company to achieve long-term success. With 10+ years each working in startups, large companies, and government, Sammy & Jason value maturity, thoroughness, and communication over "move fast and break things.” And, they are excited to create a workplace that inspires and develops its team members both personally and professionally.
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.