- San Francisco
- $150k - $190k
- 0.030% - 0.045%
- Amazon AWS
Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchling’s mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling’s applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanity's most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world's most renowned research institutes.
As Benchling’s first Data Engineer, you’ll join a rapidly growing, world-class engineering team and form the foundation of our data engineering function. You will build the next generation of our data infrastructure and enable the company to answer key questions and make better decisions. Benchling is growing really quickly, and you’ll be setting the bar for high quality data and a metrics-driven culture as we scale.
In addition, Benchling is building its own analytics product for customers to enable deep analysis of scientific R&D data. You’ll serve as a key input and work closely with the product team to bring data engineering best principles and techniques to our customers / industry.
- Define and design data pipelines and data integrations to collect, clean, and store large scale, cross-functional datasets.
- Build dashboards / reports and empower the business to answer key questions across sales, marketing, customer experience, recruiting, and engineering.
- Engineer changes to the Benchling product itself to provide deeper instrumentation, unlock new datasets, and enable powerful feedback loops.
- Work closely with teams across sales, marketing, customer experience, recruiting, and engineering to develop data platform strategy and establish best practices.
- BS or MS degree in computer science or a related technical field
- 5+ years of industry experience designing and building data processing systems
- Driven by creating positive impact for our customers and Benchling's business, and ultimately accelerating the pace of research in the Life Sciences
- Strong communicator with both words and data - you understand what it takes to go from raw data to something a human understands
- Comfortable with complexity in the short term but can build towards simplicity in the long term
- Comfortable with SQL and Python (or some other scripting language)
- Experience with BI visualization tools such as Tableau or Looker
- Plus: experience with Spark, Airflow, Map Reduce, data warehouses, and other big data technologies
Benchling is building a platform for cutting-edge life science research: gene therapy, cellular immunotherapy, synthetic biology, etc. Our mission is to accelerate research and magnify its impact by bringing modern software to this historically underserved space.
Research today means disparate tools, manual data entry, and lots of Excel and paper. We provide an integrated platform for designing and running experiments, analyzing data, and sharing results. Scientists are able to work faster, while organizations can collect and tap into their vast institutional knowledge for the first time.
Our company values are:
Build a Lever We choose to build tools and infrastructure that will help others make world-changing innovations.
Empower through Information We believe that sharing information builds trust and enables better decision-making.
Rely on Tenacity Dreaming big isn’t enough. We must make the most of every day by bringing the highest level of determination to our work.
Raise the Bar We’re dedicated to creating a place where everyone feels challenged to improve.
- Amazon AWS
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.