Data Infrastructure Engineer
- San Francisco, CA, United States
- $150k - $190k
- 0.030% - 0.045%
- Amazon AWS
Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchling’s mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling’s applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanity's most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world's most renowned research institutes.
As Benchling’s first Data Engineer, you’ll join a rapidly growing, world-class engineering team and form the foundation of our data engineering function. You will build the next generation of our data infrastructure and enable the company to answer key questions and make better decisions. Benchling is growing really quickly, and you’ll be setting the bar for high quality data and a metrics-driven culture as we scale.
In addition, Benchling is building its own analytics product for customers to enable deep analysis of scientific R&D data. You’ll serve as a key input and work closely with the product team to bring data engineering best principles and techniques to our customers / industry.
- Define and design data pipelines and data integrations to collect, clean, and store large scale, cross-functional datasets.
- Build dashboards / reports and empower the business to answer key questions across sales, marketing, customer experience, recruiting, and engineering.
- Engineer changes to the Benchling product itself to provide deeper instrumentation, unlock new datasets, and enable powerful feedback loops.
- Work closely with teams across sales, marketing, customer experience, recruiting, and engineering to develop data platform strategy and establish best practices.
- BS or MS degree in computer science or a related technical field
- 5+ years of industry experience designing and building data processing systems
- Driven by creating positive impact for our customers and Benchling's business, and ultimately accelerating the pace of research in the Life Sciences
- Strong communicator with both words and data - you understand what it takes to go from raw data to something a human understands
- Comfortable with complexity in the short term but can build towards simplicity in the long term
- Comfortable with SQL and Python (or some other scripting language)
- Experience with BI visualization tools such as Tableau or Looker
- Plus: experience with Spark, Airflow, Map Reduce, data warehouses, and other big data technologies
Benchling is building a platform for cutting-edge life science research: gene therapy, cellular immunotherapy, synthetic biology, etc. Our mission is to accelerate research and magnify its impact by bringing modern software to this historically underserved space.
Research today means disparate tools, manual data entry, and lots of Excel and paper. We provide an integrated platform for designing and running experiments, analyzing data, and sharing results. Scientists are able to work faster, while organizations can collect and tap into their vast institutional knowledge for the first time.
Our company values are:
Admit mistakes and shortcomings Leaders openly acknowledge their failures and what they don’t know, even when it’s awkward or embarrassing to do so. They do this to build trust, encourage learning, and foster comfort with vulnerability and feedback.
Deliver results Leaders create an outsized impact with efficient teams. They maximize output, not headcount or budget. They make high-quality decisions quickly instead of engaging in never-ending debate. They’re rigorous about cutting fat and focus time on delivering what’s most important.
Disagree and commit Leaders actively listen and seek to understand all perspectives. They mine for the disagreements people aren’t sharing, even when it’s uncomfortable. Once a decision is made, they trust the process and are all in.
Obsess over customers Leaders deeply understand our customers and what they need. They embrace the complexity of our customers’ work instead of over-simplifying. They over-invest in building meaningful customer relationships. They obsess over what they can do to make customers successful.
Rely on work ethic Leaders know they must will success into reality. Assuming the current trajectory will simply continue is arrogant. They outwork the competition. They embrace the grind and do the unscalable, unglamorous work to build an enduring organization.
Show Empathy Leaders take time to understand others’ point of view. They express their ideas in ways that motivate others to follow them. They express gratitude inside and outside their teams to give credit where it’s deserved.
Recruit and develop the best Great leaders are great at recruiting, and prioritize it. They understand that A players want to work with A players, and have no tolerance for mediocrity. They retain great people by challenging them: letting go of their own egos and coaching their team on how to step up.
Sweat the details Leaders roll up their sleeves and have high standards. No task is below them. They inspect frequently and when the stakes are high, are personally accountable for even the smallest detail.
Think and communicate clearly Leaders are intellectually rigorous in how they approach problems: they back up their claims with evidence and show their logic. They follow up clear thinking with clear communication. They don’t expect people to just “know what they mean”. They over-invest in simple, written communication to hone their thinking and are deliberate in verbal presentation.
Unite around the mission Leaders operate as a singular team aligned to a singular mission. They respect the work and expertise of other functions, and put no one on a pedestal. Inspired by the potential of biotechnology to rewrite the way we live, they prioritize what’s best for the company as a whole to achieve its mission.
- Amazon AWS
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.