- San Francisco
- Amazon AWS
Benchling brings best-in-breed data infrastructure to the world's leading biotech companies. As an Infrastructure Engineer, you'll build the processes and underlying systems that power Benchling's platform and applications. Ultimately, your work will be reflected in the agility, performance, reliability, and security of the Benchling platform.
Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) at Benchling is also part of the Infrastructure team. We empower engineers on other teams by making their work easier. As the Benchling engineering team triples in size, we'll invest in our service architecture, monitoring. tooling, and site reliability processes so we can build the next generation of our product. Our users are generating more kinds of data at an increasing rate and they're collaborating globally with each other, so our infrastructure needs to grow alongside them. In addition, the data our customers entrust us with is key to their businesses, so our platform needs to be highly reliable and trusted.
As a platform, Benchling is also a developer-facing product where we enable new forms of automation and integration in the life science space. Your work will be used more directly here - Benchling infrastructure extends or replaces our customers' infrastructure to store/process data. You may build systems that form a data pipeline for experimental results, an event queue to trigger customer integrations, or a compute platform to deploy and scale custom analysis.
We are looking for strong engineers with 5+ years of experience to join as a member of the larger Platform team and work alongside other infrastructure-focused peers. You'll collaborate with former Stripe, Google, and Facebook engineers to build a highly reliable, yet rapidly-evolving, backbone of our platform.
- Design, build, and maintain core infrastructure hosted on AWS
- Build developer-facing systems to test, build, and deploy Benchling’s software
- Define and implement our infrastructural security posture
- Develop monitoring/observability and automation as part of a lean operations function
- Define and lead processes for site reliability that will be used across Engineering and Customer Experience
- These are examples of projects we've worked on in the past or may work on in the near future - our projects are often changing, but this will hopefully give you an idea of the work to be done.
- Iterating on our tenancy model and architecture to build out resource isolation, data segmentation, and deployment models as we scale our customer base.
- Building a test and deploy pipeline on Buildkite - we have a large test suite and a large number of Benchling instances and need tools to deploy faster while maintaining the same degree of reliability.
- Improving network performance for global users - this is an open-ended problem which needs to be solved as our user base becomes increasingly international.
- Observability - mature our monitoring, tracing, and alerting systems so we have the right dashboards, notifications, and tools to quickly identify and resolve operational issues.
- Automating remediation of fault conditions to improve overall reliability and eliminate repetitive operational tasks.
- Building tooling and infrastructure for a more modular/service-based architecture - we're not religious about microservices or monoliths, but we plan to scale our architecture with our engineering team.
- Have 5 or more years of experience as a DevOps engineer, Site Reliability engineer, or Software Engineer building platform infrastructure.
- Have experience with deployment and configuration management frameworks such as Terraform, Ansible, or Chef; with CI/CD systems such as BuildKite or Jenkins; and with containers and container management systems such as Kubernetes or Amazon ECS.
- Understand cloud computing, virtualization, and microservices architectures. Experience with major cloud platforms, especially AWS, is a plus.
- Write clear, well-tested code in Python, Java, Go, or Ruby.
- Have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field.
Empower through information: We explain the “why” behind every decision, unless there are highly sensitive circumstances. We're honest about how we're doing, especially in difficult time. We believe that sharing information builds trust and enables better decision-making.
Rely on tenacity: Hard work is one of the greatest factors to determine success and is fully under our control. We must make the most of every day by bringing the highest level of determination. Dreaming big is not enough.
Raise the bar: Pushing ourselves and others to improve will be uncomfortable and at times result in failure. However, it's critical to our success. We're dedicated to creating a place where everyone feels challenged to improve.
Build a lever: We choose to build tools and infrastructure that will help others make world-changing innovations. There's less glory in it, but in the words of Archimedes, “Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.”
Perks and Benefits
- Beautiful, light-filled office in the Financial District of SF
- Monthly health & wellness stipend
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Meals and snacks covered
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Happy hours, company and team wide social events
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Benchling is building a platform for cutting-edge life science research: gene therapy, cellular immunotherapy, synthetic biology, etc. Our mission is to accelerate research and magnify its impact by bringing modern software to this historically underserved space.
Research today means disparate tools, manual data entry, and lots of Excel and paper. We provide an integrated platform for designing and running experiments, analyzing data, and sharing results. Scientists are able to work faster, while organizations can collect and tap into their vast institutional knowledge for the first time.
Our company values are:
Build a Lever We choose to build tools and infrastructure that will help others make world-changing innovations.
Empower through Information We believe that sharing information builds trust and enables better decision-making.
Rely on Tenacity Dreaming big isn’t enough. We must make the most of every day by bringing the highest level of determination to our work.
Raise the Bar We’re dedicated to creating a place where everyone feels challenged to improve.
- Amazon AWS
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.