Machine Learning Engineer
- East Bay, CA, United States
- Los Angeles, CA, United States
- Seattle, WA, United States
- San Francisco, CA, United States
- Silicon Valley, CA, United States
- San Diego, CA, United States
- Portland, OR, United States
- $190k - $250k
- 0.07% - 0.10%
- Ruby on Rails
Branch's Engineering Team builds products for customers in 4 markets and is distributed across 3 continents. Our team in the US works closely with teams in Africa and India on our existing products as well as new product initiatives. In the long term, we envision the US team as the team responsible for some of the most important foundational building blocks that enable us to rapidly build and improve products across multiple markets.
You will work closely with other Engineers, Product Managers, and Data Scientists to develop, improve, and deploy machine learning models and to solve other optimization problems. We make extensive use of machine learning in our credit product, where it is used (among other things) for underwriting and loan servicing decisions. We are also actively exploring other applications of Machine Learning in some of our newer products, with the ultimate goal of improving the user experience.
Machine Learning sits at the intersection of a number of different disciplines: Computer Science, Statistics, Operations Research, Data Science, and others. At Branch, we fundamentally believe that in order for Machine Learning to be impactful, it needs to be closely embedded into the rest of the product development and software engineering process, which is why we emphasize the importance of software engineering skills and experience for this role.
- You excel at software engineering and programming in Python and SQL.
- You have 5+ years of experience working on Machine Learning systems in a production setting.
- You have a diverse range of data skills including experimentation, statistics, and machine learning, and have used these skills to inform business decisions.
- You have a keen eye for detail and a healthy skepticism for data before relying upon it.
- You are highly entrepreneurial. You teach yourself new skills. You take the initiative to solve problems before they arise.
- You know that startups are a team sport. You listen to others, speak your mind, and ask the right questions. You are a great collaborator and teacher.
- You are driven by making an impact on customers’ lives.
- Credit Decisions - Core to our business is understanding and building signals from unstructured and structured data to identify good borrowers
- Customer Service - Using machine learning, automate customer service interactions and provide context to our customer service team
- Fraud Prevention - Identify patterns of fraudulent behavior and build models to detect and prevent these behaviors
- Product Growth - Understand user experiences, test ideas, and improve conversion rates through experimentation
- Paid Growth / Marketing - Use external and internal data sources to measure and optimize marketing spend
Benefits of Joining
- Mission-driven and fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Competitive salary and equity package
- 99% coverage of insurance costs (health, dental, vision)
- Unlimited PTO
- Flexible working hours
- Discretionary trips to our offices around the globe (when it's safe to travel!)
- Pre-tax commuter and 401(k) programs
- Weekly team meals and quarterly team building events (virtual for now!)
- Generous child bonding leave policy
We are primarily looking for candidates located (or willing to relocate to) the United States, ideally in the Pacific Time zone.
Branch International is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The company does not and will not discriminate in employment on any basis prohibited by applicable law. We’re looking for more than just qualifications -- so if you’re unsure that you meet the criteria, please do not hesitate to apply!
About Branch International
Branch is a machine-learning provider of mobile financial services to emerging markets with the purpose of unlocking financial access to billions of underserved people around the world. Unlike traditional institutions, Branch gives people an opportunity to build credit despite limited banking history by assessing creditworthiness based on the data captured from customers’ smartphones.
At Branch, we are passionate about our customers, fearless in the face of barriers and driven by data.
- Ruby on Rails
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.