- San Francisco
- Ruby on Rails
Branch delivers world-class financial services to the mobile generation. With offices in San Francisco, Lagos, Mexico City, Mumbai and Nairobi, Branch is a for-profit socially conscious company that uses the power of data science to reduce the cost of delivering financial services in emerging markets. We believe that everyone, everywhere deserves fair financial access. The rapid spread of smartphones presents an opportunity for the world’s emerging middle class to access banking options and achieve financial flexibility.
Branch’s mission-driven team is led by founder and former CEO of Kiva.org. The company presents a rich opportunity for our team members to drive meaningful growth in rapidly evolving and changing markets. Most recently, Branch announced our Series C and has garnered more than $100M in funding with investments from leading Silicon Valley firms.
We value diversity and are committed to providing an inclusive working environment where human beings of all backgrounds can thrive. We’re looking for more than just qualifications – so if you’re unsure that you meet the criteria, please do not hesitate to apply!
As an Engineering Manager, you will lead the team that works on the “smarts” behind our lending product: Our underwriting systems and tools as well as sophisticated machine learning models that help us make credit decisions. You will work closely with product managers, engineers, data scientists, credit analysts, and other stakeholders to help us achieve our goals. As one of the leaders in a small and nimble Engineering organization, you will also work closely with other leaders throughout the company to build the right organizational structures and processes as we continue to grow.
As a company, we are passionate about our customers, fearless in the face of barriers, and driven by data. As an engineering team, we value bottom-up innovation and decentralized decision making: We believe the best ideas can come from anyone in the company, and we work hard to create an environment where everyone feels empowered to propose solutions to the challenges we face. As a manager for a team of smart and highly motivated individuals, you will help the team achieve their goals through servant-style leadership and by removing roadblocks, while also helping each individual on your team thrive at Branch and grow in their career.
- You will manage and lead a team of driven engineers who have high expectations around ownership, impact, and technical excellence.
- You will help build a culture of collaboration that embodies our values: Passionate about our customers. Fearless in the face of barriers. Driven by data.
- You will provide “hands-on” technical guidance and direction to the team: You will lead and contribute to technical discussions related to the team’s work and provide guidance on technical topics where needed.
- Collaborating with your team, you will craft a thoughtful, long-term strategy for the team that incorporates developments and trends in the industry while being pragmatic about what works best for Branch.
- You will be responsible for planning and execution of the team’s roadmap, both short term and long term.
- You will work with other leaders across the company to set direction and ambitious goals for your team, Engineering, and Branch as a whole.
- 3+ years of engineering management experience, preferably in either an established technology firm or a product-focused high-growth tech startup.
- Significant experience as a software engineer, ideally across organizations, industries, and technology stacks.
- A record of mentorship and helping others in their career growth.
- Experience and excitement for recruiting in a startup environment, combined with a thoughtful approach to team growth.
- Bonus: Significant experience with Machine Learning, both with its algorithmic and statistical foundations, as well as with building and maintaining large-scale ML systems in a production environment.
- Bonus: Background in Fintech / Lending in general, and knowledge of underwriting decisioning systems in particular.
Benefits of Joining
- Mission-driven and fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Competitive salary and equity package
- 99% coverage of insurance costs (health, dental, vision)
- Unlimited paid time off
- Discretionary trips to our offices across the globe
- Pre-tax commuter deductions
- Bi-weekly team meals and events
This position will be based out of our San Francisco Headquarters.
Branch International is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The company does not and will not discriminate in employment on any basis prohibited by applicable law.
About Branch International
Branch is a machine-learning provider of mobile financial services to emerging markets with the purpose of unlocking financial access to billions of underserved people around the world. Unlike traditional institutions, Branch gives people an opportunity to build credit despite limited banking history by assessing creditworthiness based on the data captured from customers’ smartphones.
At Branch, we are passionate about our customers, fearless in the face of barriers and driven by data.
- Ruby on Rails
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.