Buzzer is seeking an experienced Senior Platform Engineer with extensive cloud infrastructure and backend engineering experience to join Buzzer. This is a critical role on our engineering team to build a scalable and accurate solution to serve customers personalized notifications regarding upcoming, interesting live sports look-ins. The role will be essential to building out our backend as we partner with various sports leagues and data providers, each with their own sets of specs and requirements.
The Senior Platform Engineer works directly with the Engineering and Product teams composed of our Product Manager, UX Designers, and engineers, and may collaborate with the broader Operations and Partnerships teams.
In this role you will:
- Coach and Mentor: As a technical competence leader, be responsible for coaching and mentoring engineers across architecture design, programming languages, and other areas of their professional development in order to grow and level up the engineering organization.
- Platform Engineering: Directly work on the implementation and development of backend microservices and management of related data stores. You will work closely with other engineering teams to identify and meet their needs in a collaborative, agile environment.
- Cloud Architecture: Build highly scalable services to support web-based applications and client devices. You will create secure, multi-tenant services, including databases and middleware.
- Continuous Integration and Deployment: Create and maintain continuous integration and deployment processes, ensuring the entire CI/CD pipeline works as intended.
- 5+ years work experience developing and managing scalable infrastructure and applications in the cloud (ideally within AWS)
- 5+ years work experience with relational SQL and NoSQL databases (such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, and Redis)
- 3+ years work experience with microservice development
- 2+ years work experience with Golang (5+ years work experience with Go and other strongly typed languages)
- Experience with Terraform (or other IaaC tools, such as CloudFormation)
- Familiarity with Test-Driven and Behavior-Driven Development (TDD/BDD)
- Working knowledge of Unix/Linux
- Working knowledge of source control systems, including Git
- Previous experience working in an agile environment with 2-week sprints
- Experience working with data analytics and data science
- Experience building machine learning pipelines, particularly for recommendation engines
- Experience build data lakes and data pipelines
- Experience working with graph databases (such as Amazon Neptune)
- Experience with sports media applications and/or design
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets
- BA/BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
Buzzer is a mobile first, notification-driven platform for live sports, personalized to the fan’s interests & preferences. We take fans from league to league and game to game instantaneously on their mobile device. Our technology, powered by micropayments, push notifications and authentication of existing Pay-TV/OTT subscriptions, allows us to deliver real-time content that reflects the true interests of each individual fan and removes traditional barriers to live viewership.
Our mission is to simplify the discovery and consumption of these live moments. We celebrate our community of fans who are fueled by their passion for sports. Founded in a hub of sports, our growing remote team respects tradition while valuing innovation. Our belief is that as a leading unifier of the sports ecosystem, we can foster togetherness through meaningful touchpoints & across generations.
About Strive: Buzzer’s Commitment to Social Impact
Strive is an intentional and impactful initiative that will utilize Buzzer’s unifying platform to invest in equitable outcomes for Black, Indigenous and People of Color. Buzzer is dedicated to leveling the playing field through our company’s mission, values, product and financial tools in order to create more opportunities for communities of color. Strive will serve as that vehicle for Buzzer to drive positive change and outcomes in our society.
Our 1x1x1 Impact Model is designed to invest in these communities through three strategies:
- Equity: 1% of the company’s equity will be protected and allocated to ‘leveling the playing field.’ This fund will ensure that Strive is prioritized and scales at the same rate of our growth. The reinvestment will support Strive’s mission, partners and causes. As our investment in this area grows, the company grows.
- Net Profits: 1% of net profits will be reinvested into partnering non-profits focused on enhancing and empowering Black communities and communities of color. This near-term solution is meant to partner and contribute to impactful organizations that are providing resources and support for our future leaders and customers.
- Consumer Donation: 1% of a user’s purchase can be donated to a participating non-profit organization by allowing users to round up their $.99 micropayment to $1.00. The ambition of this product feature is to highlight opportunities for consumers to engage with and learn about organizations that are investing in communities of color.
Buzzer is proud to share that our first product was the Strive Mentorship program, a global mentorship program connecting over 500 industry professionals with over 500 black college students predominantly from Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and other universities. This mentorship program ultimately inspired the Strive initiative and represents our ambitions to lead by doing the right thing for our potential customers, partners, and employees.
Buzzer is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Our mission is to simplify the discovery of live moments and make them seamless to watch. Buzzer takes fans from league to league and game to game, instantaneously. We celebrate our community of fans who are fueled by their passion for sports.
We are a diversity-forward company whose values include extreme ownership and transparency. We also strive to be an effective remote and distributed team.
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.