Senior Backend Engineer
- East Bay, CA, United States
- Los Angeles, CA, United States
- New York, NY, United States
- Seattle, WA, United States
- San Francisco, CA, United States
- Silicon Valley, CA, United States
- Ruby on Rails
- React Native
Come help build the future of the cryptoeconomy with us.
Looking for a senior backend engineer to help seed a new team supporting dozens of critical products and services across Coinbase and beyond.
What you'll be doing:
- Build new services to meet critical product and business needs using Golang.
- Design scalable systems to solve novel problems with modern cloud technology and industry best practices.
- Articulate a long term vision for maintaining and scaling our backend systems and the teams running them.
- Work with engineers, designers, product managers and senior leadership to turn our product and technical vision into a tangible roadmap every quarter.
- Write high quality, well tested code to meet the needs of your customers.
What we look for in you:
- You have at least 5 years of experience in software engineering.
- You’ve designed, built, scaled and maintained production services, and know how to compose a service oriented architecture.
- You write high quality, well tested code to meet the needs of your customers.
- You’re passionate about building an open financial system that brings the world together.
Nice to haves:
- You have gone through a rapid growth in your company (from startup to mid-size).
- Experience with growth experiments or A/B testing frameworks.
- You have experience with Blockchain technology (such as Bitcoin, Ethereum etc..)
- You have experience decomposing a large monolith into microservices.
- You’ve worked with Golang, Ruby, Docker, Rails, Postgres, MongoDB or DynamoDB.
- You’ve built financial, high reliability or security systems.
Founded in June of 2012, Coinbase is a digital currency wallet and platform where merchants and consumers can transact with new digital currencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum and Litecoin. Bitcoin is the world's most widely used alternative currency with a total market cap of approximately $10 billion.
Our vision is to bring more innovation, efficiency, and equality of opportunity to the world by building an open global financial system. Our first step on that journey is making digital currency accessible and approachable for everyone.
Two principles guide our efforts. First, be the most trusted company in our domain. Second, create user-focused products that are easier and more delightful to use.
Our mission is to create an open financial system for the world. An open financial system is one that is not controlled by any one country or company (just like the internet did for distributing information). We think this is the highest leverage way to bring about more economic freedom, innovation, efficiency, and equality of opportunity in the world. We have a ten year plan to get there.
Imagine if every payment in the world was as fast, cheap, and global as sending an email. Imagine if anyone who had an idea for a product could have customers all over the world from day one. Imagine if anyone with a smartphone had access to the the same financial services we enjoy in the developed world.
An open financial system can be a great equalizer and lift billions out of poverty while accelerating the pace of innovation around the world. This is the best way we know to change the world.
Our culture is best described through the values that every employee at Coinbase embodies:
CLEAR COMMUNICATION We share information efficiently, improving collaboration and productivity. We’re succinct, candid, and kind. We practice active listening. We talk to people directly about issues, instead of concealing or choosing gossip.
POSITIVE ENERGY We’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there. We co-create solutions instead of choosing blame and criticism. We create moments of play at work. We take care of each other and help each other grow.
CONTINUOUS LEARNING We view every situation as an opportunity to learn (especially when the going gets tough). We’re more interested in learning than being right. We value giving and receiving regular feedback. We learn from and mentor those around us.
EFFICIENT EXECUTION We complete high quality work quickly by working smarter, not harder. We value completing tasks, instead of just talking about them. We prefer automation over manual work. We prioritize, focusing on the 20% that will get us 80% of the impact.
- Ruby on Rails
- React Native
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.