- San Francisco, CA, United States
- Ruby on Rails
What you’ll be doing
- Leading the design, architecture, and development of Karuna’s backend systems
- Collaborating closely with a cross-functional product team of product management, design, and engineering on a mix of greenfield product development and improvements to our existing product suite
- Working with a talented and thoughtful engineering team to help refine and improve Karuna’s engineering practices
- Helping shape the team as we grow by being a core part of future hiring processes
What the first three to six months will look like
- Helping us review and improve our current tech and infrastructure stack, as well as our current engineering practices
- Jumping into the technical design and architecture of an ambitious new greenfield product for a major customer, and writing the code that will lay the foundation for its future
- Working with the product team to rapidly iterate on well-designed features and functionality for existing customers
- Learning about the health space and our customers, and meeting with everyone at the company to understand how our work fits together
What you need to be successful
- Experience designing, building, and operating scalable back-end systems using Ruby on Rails
- Experience with (and enthusiasm for!) incorporating automated testing into your development workflow
- An approach of constant learning and curiosity, with a focus on growth and improving your craft as a software developer over time
- A desire to invest in your teammates and be open with your knowledge and expertise
- Empathy for your colleagues on and off the product team, and for the people whose lives are affected by your work
- Enthusiasm for building high quality software that can meaningfully improve lives
Our current tech stack
Back-end: Ruby on Rails services behind a RESTful API abstraction, PostgreSQL, Redis, Amazon SQS, Google Protocol Buffers, Elasticsearch
Front-end: TypeScript, React and React Native, Redux
Dev tooling and infrastructure: GitHub, RSpec, CircleCI, Docker, Aptible, AWS, GCP, Sumo Logic, ScoutAPM, Sentry
More about us
Our team works together remotely (like most folks, we use Zoom and Slack extensively), but is primarily located in the San Francisco Bay Area. We’re excited to keep investing in excellent remote work culture and the flexibility it can provide.
We are a high-growth digital health company backed by first-class investors including First Round Capital, Slow Ventures, Founder Collective, and Lerer Hippeau. We’re happy to be supported by the same people who have helped other startups redefine their industries. We are working with and solving problems for some of the most influential health organizations in the world.
Our mission is to build deeper relationships between patients and the healthcare system. Karuna’s Message Orchestration infrastructure allows business units to initiate outreach independently while acting as “air traffic control”—automatically prioritizing and consolidating communication across existing channels and platforms. Members receive the right information at the right time on the right channels. Administrators receive enterprise-wide analytics on every touchpoint.
Our company values exemplify our culture. We're committed to making sure our impact on patients is positive and measurable, investing in each other’s growth, both professionally and personally, braving uncertainty, and providing space to make and learn from our mistakes, transparency in our relationships with each other, our customers, and our investors, keeping patient privacy and security top of mind, and building a culture that combines collaboration and ownership.
We do everything we can to live up to these values every day. For example, we end every standup and all-hands with company-wide gratitudes and shout-outs, the entire company knows how much runway and revenue we have, along with sales projections, and team members are given a ton of freedom and ownership - two of our full-stack developers took the initiative to rebuild both our mobile and web applications from the ground up—from design through QA and release.
- Ruby on Rails
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.