- San Francisco
- Embedded Systems
We live in a connected world and WiFi has become a critical component to every home. eero is the first product to deliver a whole home WiFi experience using mesh technology to make sure you never have to worry about WiFi ever again. We believe deeply in providing the best connectivity experience possible for our customers. We are based in San Francisco, CA.
About the role
The Connectivity team at eero is looking for an experienced engineering manager to lead an existing team responsible for eeroOS, our operating system that runs on all of our hardware platforms. The team's responsibilities include the operating system, underlying libraries like IPC, management plane, customer features, and all of the surrounding tooling including build and automation. Unsurprising, this team's work is integral in delivering the entire product experience.
eero is a small and lean team. This means you'll enjoy an outsized impact and the benefit of having many different responsibilities. All within a day you'll follow up with other teams on lingering bugs remaining for the next eeroOS release, analyze stability of new features, request reproduction of a bug from QA, coach an engineer in a one on one, review a technical spec with the team, perform a code review, phone screen a candidate, discuss progress on a feature with an external partner, prioritize incoming CX tickets, and collaborate with product on the feasibility of a new customer experience. This role has a little bit of everything which keeps it challenging and fun. This role and team is based in San Francisco, California.
What you'll do
- Lead and coach a team of high performing engineers tasked with delivering eeroOS.
- Empower the team to regularly deliver high impact customer features on tight timelines.
- Balance and prioritize incoming requests from Customer Experience, ISP relationships, eero product, Amazon teams, external partners, and other eero engineering teams.
- Own and develop relationships with external partners and teams within Amazon.
- Manage the release process for delivering eeroOS to our customers.
- Build detailed schedules and technical requirements from high level product descriptions.
- Communicate status in an understandable way to a wide range of audiences.
- Estimate delivery dates with confidence intervals based on the measured team velocity, remaining work, and projected new work.
- Identify, champion, and deliver the highest impact engineering investments that your team needs in order to continue to deliver in the long term.
- Implement process improvements for both your own and surrounding teams.
- Provide hands on technical leadership to the team, including your own code contributions and meticulous code reviews in Go, C, and Python.
- Analyze performance and stability data from our testing and production populations to catch regressions and validate new features.
- Manage team budget, headcount projections, recruiting and continuous performance evaluations.
- Monitor, drive and facilitate individual growth of your teams individual contributors.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field (or equivalent experience)
- 5+ years of relevant engineering experience
- 2+ years people management experience or relevant leadership experience
- Understanding of all phases of the software development life cycle
- Experience with managing the day-to-day activities of an engineering team using Agile/Scrum processes
- Passionate about developing and mentoring others
- Deep hands-on technical expertise especially with Linux, distributed systems, and internet technologies like DNS, IPv6, DHCP, firewalls, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple, competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
- Analytical – you want to see data and are capable of analyzing it. For instance, you are happy to build a confidence interval, run a t-test, or build out a model.
- Organized and detailed oriented
- Track record of shipping software on time
- Prior experience as a software developer and software development manager
- Experience designing software architectures for scalability, reliability, and performance
- MS, Ph.D. in Computer Science or a relevant technical discipline (or equivalent experience)
eero LLC is part of the Amazon.com, Inc. group of companies and is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
Eero blankets your home in fast, reliable WiFi. With 2x better performance than the original, the 2nd-generation eero WiFi system ensures you’ll get powerful mesh WiFi in every nook and cranny of your home, backyard included. No more dead spots, slow spots, drop-offs, or buffering — right out of the box.
We love our customers and work hard to please them. We value teamwork, kindness, and going the extra mile. We are always looking for ways to improve ourselves, our company, and the world.
- Embedded Systems
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.