DevOps Engineer, AWS (Relocation Available)
- San Francisco, CA, United States
- Django Rest Framework
Financial Technology Partners is seeking a DevOps Engineer to improve, manage and monitor our AWS software infrastructure in collaboration with our small but growing engineering team.
Financial Technology Partners (aka “FT Partners”) is the only investment banking firm focused exclusively on the financial technology sector. We broadly define the sector as the dynamic convergence of technology-based solutions and financial services. FT Partners was recently recognized as
Dealmaker of the Year and
Investment Banking Firm of the Year by the M&A Advisor.
The firm was founded by Steve McLaughlin, Managing Partner, formerly a senior investment banker in Goldman Sachs & Co.'s Financial Technology Group and Financial Institutions Group in New York and San Francisco. The firm's Founder and senior bankers are all highly experienced investment bankers formerly with the financial technology, M&A and investment banking groups of Goldman Sachs & Co in New York, San Francisco, London, and Los Angeles.
About FT Partners Engineering
The primary purpose of the engineering team at FT Partners is to build the (web-based) operating system that the company runs on, as well as its data infrastructure. This is particularly exciting given the company’s focus on research, data and technology, and the large impact our small team can make when our tooling contributes to the success of a huge high-profile deals. High expectations are placed on the engineering team, but we are also afforded substantial autonomy and context to provide real solutions to investment banking operations and data challenges. Our philosophy is to continually simplify our system while providing increasingly powerful features. We are committed to constant research of tools and approaches that provide more elegant solutions than our previous iterations. In places, our application of technology will be truly unique, but it will be built atop a modern high-quality standards-based foundation.
Short term objectives of the role will include: Optimizing infrastructure to scale available computation power based on load with Elastic Beanstalk, improving logging and tooling to increase visibility into and quantify our applications’ performance, and Active management of existing EC2 instances to scale where needed and decommission where obsolete.
Long term aspirations encompass leveraging AWS Lambda or a similar serverless technology to open the flood gates on scaling workload on various applications, and implementing Infrastructure as Code to better provision and manage hardware configuration. The small team offers plenty of opportunity for growth and making major DevOps infrastructure decisions for a growing team. Our offices around the world are the direct consumers of the digital products we build, so you’ll have direct feedback on the impact of your work.
- Continuously audit and improve the security of our AWS infrastructure, keeping the system as simple as needed to account for the security and stability of every aspect
- Provision, manage and assist with integration of AWS services
- Develop and iterate continuous delivery systems
- Integrate error reporting system, monitoring, and alerting
- Establish development environments including offline development and data-redacted development
- Streamline systems for consistency, and assist with integration of security at all levels of development
- Build systems that are easy for other engineers to understand and expand on, through technology/library choices, code style (readability matters), and documentation
- Evaluate new services and experiment with them prior to incorporation
- Collaborate with engineering on database infrastructure, security, and efficiency
- Understand when it is worth containerizing and when it isn’t
- Contribute to team task visibility through participation in our ticket tracking system, daily standups, and sprint planning
- 2+ years as a DevOps Engineer using AWS
- You have been involved with, or responsible for a majority percentage of a previous company’s DevOps mandate before (not just a tiny slice for a large corporation)
- Scripting proficiency and willingness to contribute to our Python/Django codebase in support of DevOps tooling (e.g. integrating monitoring tools, making security improvements)
- Exceptional writing and verbal communication skills
- U.S. work authorization required. FT Partners will not sponsor applicants for work visas at application or in the future.
- Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by date of hire to be considered
- Team player who can contribute to building a positive team spirit, keeps commitments, inspires the trust of others, works with integrity and ethically, and upholds firm values
- You are collaborative, you recognize that as an engineering team (especially a small one) we succeed together, and we fail together.
- You are comfortable asking for help, context, and ideas, and you are happy to provide help, context, and ideas to your team.
- You keep looking into new ways to do things and are willing to replace your own previous solutions in favor of new standards that become available.
- You have a healthy fear of introducing complexity into the system.
Nice to haves:
- Startup experience and comfort wearing multiple hats
- Experience with medium-large databases and task queues
- Integrating cloud infrastructure and VPN infrastructure
- Python/Django development experience
Benefits of this role:
- Opportunity to implement best-practices of a modern stack
- Our offices around the world are the direct consumers of the digital products we build, so you’ll have direct feedback on the impact of your work
- Team culture that values training, social events, and an international and diverse environment
- Relocation bonus available for candidates meeting certain conditions
About Financial Technology Partners
Headquartered in San Francisco with offices in New York and London, Financial Technology Partners is dedicated to providing world-class advisory services to our FinTech clients. Founded in 2001, FT Partners is among the earliest firms to recognize the convergence of financial service and technology and our strategy to focus on this area provides our firm with unmatched insights into the vertical and enables our team to help clients obtain the absolute best results.
Having long been in a front-row seat to witness software's impact on the financial sector, FT Partners has a technology-forward stance like none other in the space. The engineering team is provided tremendous support and autonomy to make great software product decisions. This has led to a cycle of increasingly strong foundations, which has led to highly impactful feature development being achievable in sustainable timelines. 💪
FT Partners is continually recognized across the industry for its expertise, specialization and impact on the broad FinTech market and we are relentless in our pursuit of excellence. We continue to prove that our unique approach to investment banking delivers optimal outcomes for our clients and fosters an exceptional learning environment for our passionate and dedicated team who have unparalleled experience in this dynamic FinTech vertical.
We have high standards of work, and we take pride in our craft. We're a company of smart, driven people, supportive of one another. People opt to take responsibility for tasks whenever possible instead of assigning to someone else. In communication, we distill information ourselves, to save a recipient time and effort. In whatever we create, we double check before sending something or deploying something. The engineers work a regular full time week on average, with flexibility for things like errands. We do not have an on-call schedule, as after-hours outages have been exceedingly rare, but we do have ownership and accountability for our code and it is not uncommon to see engineers deciding to put some extra time to take a feature from good to great. The bankers work longer hours as part of a rewarding professional development program.
- Django Rest Framework
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.