Backend Engineer, Python/Django (Relocation Available)
- San Francisco, CA, United States
- Django Rest Framework
Financial Technology Partners (FT Partners) is looking for a Backend Software Engineer to improve, refactor and extend our web app in collaboration with our small but growing engineering team. Our stack is Python/Django, Django Rest Framework, AWS, RDS, Redis, Vue/Vuex, and Node. We’re looking for someone who has experience, passion and diligence in contributing to a stable, clean, readable, maintainable Python/Django codebase and supporting infrastructure.
Financial Technology Partners (aka “FT Partners”) is the only investment banking firm focused exclusively on the financial technology sector. We broadly define the sector as the dynamic convergence of technology-based solutions and financial services. FT Partners was recently recognized as
Dealmaker of the Year and
Investment Banking Firm of the Year by the M&A Advisor.
The firm was founded by Steve McLaughlin, Managing Partner, formerly a senior investment banker in Goldman Sachs & Co.'s Financial Technology Group and Financial Institutions Group in New York and San Francisco. The firm's Founder and senior bankers are all highly experienced investment bankers formerly with the financial technology, M&A and investment banking groups of Goldman Sachs & Co in New York, San Francisco, London, and Los Angeles.
About FT Partners Engineering:
Our primary purpose as an engineering team at FT Partners is to build the (web-based) operating system that the company runs on, as well as its data infrastructure. This is particularly exciting given the company’s focus on research, data and technology, and the large impact our small team can make when our tooling contributes to the success of a huge high-profile deals. High expectations are placed on the engineering team, but we are also afforded substantial autonomy and context to provide real solutions to investment banking operations and data challenges. Our philosophy is to continually simplify our system while providing increasingly powerful features. We are committed to constant research of tools and approaches that provide more elegant solutions than our previous iterations. In places, our application of technology will be truly unique, but it will be built atop a modern high-quality standards-based foundation.
- Build new functionality, models and APIs using Django Rest Framework
- Audit and refactor older parts of the codebase
- Implement unit and integration tests for stability and continuous delivery
- Assist with dependency versioning and security warnings
- Continuously audit and improve security. Keep the system as simple as needed in order to account for the security and stability of every aspect
- Collaborate with engineering on database infrastructure, security and efficiency
- Contribute to team task visibility through participation in our ticket tracking system, daily standups and sprint planning.
- Write code that is easy for other engineers to understand and expand on, through technology/library choices, code style (readability matters), and documentation
- 2 to 5+ years as a Software Engineer in a modern web-app engineering environment (APIs, SPAs, CI/CD, Cloud infrastructure, Tests, Git, Agile)
- 1+ of those years working primarily with Django (and preferably DRF)
- Salary is commensurate on experience, and we are seeking a range of experience levels (from 2 years minimum)
- U.S. work authorization required. FT Partners will not sponsor applicants for work visas at application or in the future.
- Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by date of hire to be considered
- Team player who can contribute to building a positive team spirit, keeps commitments, inspires the trust of others, works with integrity and ethically, and upholds firm values
- You are collaborative, you recognize that as an engineering team (especially a small one) we succeed together, and we fail together.
- You are comfortable asking for help, context, and ideas, and you are happy to provide help, context, and ideas to your team.
- You keep looking into new ways to do things and are willing to replace your own previous solutions in favor of new standards that become available
- You have a healthy fear of introducing complexity into the system
- You are self-motivated in contributing to the underappreciated aspects of a stable system like test coverage and documentation
Nice to Haves:
- Startup experience and comfort wearing multiple hats
- Experience with large databases and task queues
- Any DevOps experience a plus
Benefits of this role:
- Opportunity to implement best-practices of a modern stack
- Our offices around the world are the direct consumers of the digital products we build, so you’ll have direct feedback on the impact of your work
- Team culture that values training, social events, and an international and diverse environment
- Relocation bonus available for candidates meeting certain conditions
About Financial Technology Partners
Headquartered in San Francisco with offices in New York and London, Financial Technology Partners is dedicated to providing world-class advisory services to our FinTech clients. Founded in 2001, FT Partners is among the earliest firms to recognize the convergence of financial service and technology and our strategy to focus on this area provides our firm with unmatched insights into the vertical and enables our team to help clients obtain the absolute best results.
Having long been in a front-row seat to witness software's impact on the financial sector, FT Partners has a technology-forward stance like none other in the space. The engineering team is provided tremendous support and autonomy to make great software product decisions. This has led to a cycle of increasingly strong foundations, which has led to highly impactful feature development being achievable in sustainable timelines. 💪
FT Partners is continually recognized across the industry for its expertise, specialization and impact on the broad FinTech market and we are relentless in our pursuit of excellence. We continue to prove that our unique approach to investment banking delivers optimal outcomes for our clients and fosters an exceptional learning environment for our passionate and dedicated team who have unparalleled experience in this dynamic FinTech vertical.
We have high standards of work, and we take pride in our craft. We're a company of smart, driven people, supportive of one another. People opt to take responsibility for tasks whenever possible instead of assigning to someone else. In communication, we distill information ourselves, to save a recipient time and effort. In whatever we create, we double check before sending something or deploying something. The engineers work a regular full time week on average, with flexibility for things like errands. We do not have an on-call schedule, as after-hours outages have been exceedingly rare, but we do have ownership and accountability for our code and it is not uncommon to see engineers deciding to put some extra time to take a feature from good to great. The bankers work longer hours as part of a rewarding professional development program.
- Django Rest Framework
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.