- San Francisco, CA, United States
Who We Are:
At Flockjay, we are here to empower upward mobility through education and access. Our goal is to create pathways to future-proof careers for people from non-traditional and underrepresented backgrounds. We have an experienced team from companies like Intercom, Dropbox, and Teach for America, and have raised capital from the best investors in the industry, including Y Combinator, Serena Williams, and Lightspeed Ventures.
Tomorrow's companies will be defined by how they invest in people. Our team is small and growing - join us and make a meaningful impact. Let’s build a generational company together.
Who You Are:
Are you here to remove obstacles for people from non-traditional and underrepresented backgrounds to access life-changing jobs in tech? Are you excited to build the software platform for the vocational school of the future? Do you look forward to leading a world-class engineering team at a rapidly growing startup, and building for users whose professional lives depend on your product?
If you answered with a spirited “Yes!” to all the above, we’d love to have you join our flock!
We’re looking for a Head of Engineering with deep product sense, a knack for demystifying the ambiguous, and the horsepower to turn product specs into reality. Everything you do has the ability to make a real, measurable impact on our students’ careers and lives, and ultimately change the future of job training and success.
You'll help plan and develop our core platform used by multiple stakeholders, as well as tools for our rapidly growing community. You’ll lead and help define our product roadmap. In this role you’ll report directly to our CEO, work closely with other team leads, and be based out of our sunny SF office.
What You’ll Do:
- Hire and lead a team of talented engineers who like to ship code and tackle hard engineering problems
- Partner with our founder to create a technical vision and roadmap for the company
- Work closely with our team to scope new features, iterate on existing features, and execute against agreed upon timelines
- Make important, impactful architectural decisions that will help shape and scale our APIs and systems (platform, personalization, community, growth, education, certifications) as our company grows
- Cultivate teams with high performance, inclusivity, collaboration, and commitment to the product
- Recruit outstanding technical talent in a highly competitive market, and refine a scalable culture to accommodate growth on the engineering team
- Proactively remove any obstacles that stand in the way of engineering productivity
- Coach and mentor the professional and technical development of your team members, maximizing team productivity and growing their careers by understanding your team’s skill levels, working styles, motivations, and professional goals
- Collaborate with our team to build, test and ship the consumer-facing product features and internal tools for internal and external stakeholders (students, alumni, mentors, partner companies) that power nearly all aspects of the business and help us to grow & scale
- Build strong collaborative relationships across the organization to ensure Flockjay’s continued success
What You'll Bring:
- 8+ years of tech industry experience, bonus if at a high-growth, consumer-facing startup
- 3+ years managing high-performing teams that exemplify a culture of excellence, including experience managing remote employees
- Advanced level knowledge of our core languages and technologies: AWS, NodeJS, ReactJS and/or React Native, PostgreSQL, Git, Typescript
- A passion for education, inclusion, and creating access for people from underrepresented and/or non-traditional backgrounds
- Experience building and delivering products that have scaled
- Demonstrated passion for and success in attracting, assessing, and closing highly skilled candidates
- High emotional intelligence and excellent communication skills
- Humility and the ability to step back and speak openly about mistakes
- Experience creating processes that cultivate a high-quality and enjoyable engineering culture
- Experience working across an entire organization, building relationships to understand the ins and outs of the whole business
- Bonus if you’ve managed engineers in building both consumer-facing and ops-supporting products & tools
What You'll Get:
- Getting in on the ground floor of an innovative mission-first, people-first company where you'll have the support to pursue your passions
- Competitive salary
- Meaningful equity in a well-funded startup experiencing hyper-growth
- Health and dental insurance
- Monthly health and wellness stipend
- Company-provided lunches 3 days per week, team breakfast once a week, and a kitchen fully-stocked with snacks, drinks, and breakfast staples
- Flexible, uncapped paid time off, in addition to company-wide holidays
- Work from home (remote) and in-office flexibility
- Fully equipped workstation
- Dog-friendly office in downtown SF steps from BART & Muni
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging at Flockjay
We believe diversity is strength & difference is a teacher. We know we'll do our best and most impactful work when we feel we're represented and we belong. We strive to provide the support required to create a safe, positive environment.
We're proud to actively recruit and hire talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We believe organizations must build diversity, inclusion, and belonging into their DNA. Those that do so will build better products, provide better services, and be positive forces in the world.
At Flockjay, we believe that every member of the workforce deserves economic opportunity. We identify untapped talent, provide training for in-demand jobs, and get paid only when they get jobs. To start, we train and certify high-quality sales professionals online, and place them at the best tech companies. We then provide mentorship and support for our community.
We are here to empower upward mobility through education and access. Our goal is to make industries like tech more accessible for people from non-traditional and underrepresented backgrounds. We have an experienced team and an incredible network of support from industry leaders, advisors, and investors like Y Combinator.
Tomorrow's companies will be defined by how they invest in people. Our team is small and growing - join us and make a meaningful impact. Let’s build a generational company together!
We've built a diverse, inclusive team who are resourceful, bonded by a love of our mission, enjoy collaborating cross-functionally and who take the initiative to get things done. We wear many hats at Flockjays — our engineers are collaborating with different teams on a daily basis. It's also a challenging, fun & flexible environment — we have weekly team bonding events and you get to choose the projects that you're passionate about working on, all while solving a meaningful problem.
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.