*Note: these positions are either in New York City, Chicago, or remote.
Grubhub is the nation's leading online and mobile food ordering and delivery marketplace dedicated to connecting hungry diners with local takeout restaurants. The company’s online and mobile ordering platforms allow diners to order from more than 125,000 takeout restaurants in over 2,400 U.S. cities and London. The Grubhub portfolio of brands includes Grubhub, Seamless, LevelUp, Tapingo, AllMenus and MenuPages.
Why join us?
Working at Grubhub allows you to have your cake and eat it, too!!
We want our employees to love what they do, who they work with, and where they work. We work hard to make sure employees have an opportunity to collaborate with the best and the brightest in the industry.
While we are food-obsessed, we are also customer-obsessed. We look to constantly innovate our technology so our diners’ food experience is memorable, restaurant owners get more business and individuals across the country looking for part-time work can deliver the food from the restaurant to the diner flawlessly. We take great pride in knowing that we are a part of 20+ million diners food ordering experience and we are partnered with 125,000 restaurants in 2,400 US cities across our suite of apps (Grubhub, LevelUp, Seamless, Tapingo).
Check out our engineering blog to get to know us and the challenges we work on: https://bytes.grubhub.com/
We provided more than $5 billion in gross food sales to local takeout restaurants in 2018 We processed 488,900 daily orders We Served 20.3 million active diners We sent more than $2 billion in total tips to drivers
Engineering at Grubhub
- Agile teams, one to two weeks sprint cycles- scrum & kanban
- TDD- No QA's, CI/CD- automated deployment process
- Active- Active/Hot-hot data centers/Blue-Green Deployments
- Distributed systems, Microservices/Service mesh architecture
- Daily builds, Bugs fixed before writing new code
- PR's on Git, code reviews
1) Building scalable systems that can scale linearly to gracefully handle massive traffic spikes during busy periods which is a unique challenge that we encounter at Grubhub. Weather, sporting events, holidays can cause huge changes in traffic patterns.
2) Discuss distributed systems involving human beings as integral players, which means failures, delays, and retries aren't just about network issues, etc. But thinking about building systems where we need to account for potentially unreliable humans at restaurants and drivers interacting with services and making sure we have mechanisms to ensure orders eventually reach diners.
3) Working on a non-ad driven product at scale.
Delivery - Last mile
GrubHub strives to be world-class in location intelligence, route finding, route optimization and dispatch, order forecasting, and time estimation. The logistics team is responsible for building the technology that optimizes GrubHub’s vast delivery network. Engineers build systems that will run thousands of times every second to make sure GrubHub’s logistics network is operating as efficiently as possible.
This team is at the center of the customer ordering experience and is responsible for critical back end functionality related to, carts, checking out, payment, and submitting orders for both individual diners and enterprise. The engineers deal with resiliency, throughput, and latency, AND product-focused, and make an impact on our customer experience and bottom line.
Restaurant engineering team focuses on conceptualize, design, build and deploy new and innovative products and services for the Grubhub Restaurant Platform to facilitate the wide offerings, capabilities, and feedback loops for our restaurant partners.
Working at Grubhub
We are scrappy, customer-obsessed and authentically fun- life is short!!
Line of credit on Grubhub and fully stocked pantry!
We are located in downtown Chicago where you can see the beautiful skyline!! In NYC you will be mesmerized by Bryant Park view, and Ice rink you always want to go back during holidays.
Grubhub offers $2,000 to engineers as part learning and development Learning Fridays- Lunch, and Learn! Next-Gen leader programs
We provide medical, dental and vision
Grubhub life is our lifeline for all Grubhubers!!
Pretax commuter benefits (parking and public transit via wage works)
We offer matching up to 5%
We contribute to your favorite charity Partnered with No Hungry Kid foundation- Donate Change James Beard Foundation Receives Over $1 Million To Support Female Culinary Entrepreneurs - Donate The Change And MORE!!
We do offer generous relocation services for our new hires
Grub Tank, Hackathons and lot!
Work from Home
We are flexible
Interested in this company?
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.