Senior Android Engineer, Homes
- East Bay, CA, United States
- Los Angeles, CA, United States
- New York, NY, United States
- Seattle, WA, United States
- San Francisco, CA, United States
- Silicon Valley, CA, United States
- Austin, TX, United States
- Houston, TX, United States
- Mississauga, ON, Canada
- Montréal, QC, Canada
- Ottawa, ON, Canada
- Toronto, ON, Canada
- Vancouver, BC, Canada
- A passion for building customer centric software
- Plan, build and maintain a seamless user experience for our Android customers leveraging Kotlin and Scala
- A proven ability to build prototypes and take a data-driven approach to product development, testing and measuring new ideas very quickly
- A passionate focus on quality, writing testable code that performs and scales
- Excel in cross-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Data Scientists, Mobile Engineers, and other highly skilled specialists
- Backend experience and/or willingness to jump in on backend projects strongly preferred
About the job
As an Android Engineer on the Homes team, you’ll have the opportunity to work on a greenfield product within Hopper’s $1B+ travel ecosystem. You’ll work with a cross-functional team to build a new product for launch from the ground up, and contribute to foundational features and services that will be core to the business going forward. You’ll also help lay the technical groundwork that will enable us to move quickly while ensuring we adhere to a high standard of quality and scalability.
- Collaborate with a team of talented engineers to develop innovative solutions to challenging, impactful technical problems
- Lead a successful launch of the core Homes product on Android
- Quickly prototype new ideas and run experiments to identify features that users love
- Contribute to the maintenance and improvement of our microservices and ETL pipelines (Scala/Python) and to feature implementation in our Android app
- Help evolve our architecture to consistently improve development efficiency
- Influence the technical direction for the team and the strategic direction of the product
- Our tech stack
- We have a microservice architecture with over 200+ services.
- Mostly Scala on the backend with some Python.
- Our UIs are Mobile first: Swift on iOS and Kotlin on Android.
- We mostly host our services on Google Cloud with some on-prem.
- We use things like HBase, Kafka, Pub/Sub, GCP Big Query, Cloud SQL, S3, Delos, Redis.
- We are driven by data so Amplitude, Big Query and Datadog will be your buddies.
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k
More about Hopper
Hopper is valued at $3.5bn making us the 5th most valuable travel business in the world. We’re best known as a travel app and we just raised a further $175m from a funding round led by GPI Capital. Our investors also include Goldman Sachs and Capital One for whom we exclusively power their travel portal.
At Hopper, we’re on a mission to build the most customer-centric travel company on earth. We are leveraging the power that comes from combining massive amounts of data and machine learning to build the world’s fastest-growing mobile first travel marketplace - one that enables our customers to save money and travel better. It’s cheaper to purchase travel with Hopper!
Hopper’s goal is to reduce traveler anxiety throughout all stages of the trip buying process. By creating a transparent travel marketplace and unique, data-driven financial technology products focused on providing peace-of-mind, Hopper adds value along each step of the customer’s journey.
Recognized as one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company three years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 60 million times and sees over 1.9 million new installs per month. Our revenue growth is up 330% versus 2020 as we continue to outperform market recovery.
Now we're laying the groundwork for continued expansion in 2021 by adding great people to our team who can help us compete with the travel giants. Come take off with us!
About Hopper Inc
At Hopper, we’re on a mission to build the most customer-centric travel company on earth. We are leveraging the power that comes from combining massive amounts of data and machine learning to build the world’s fastest-growing mobile first travel marketplace — one that enables our customers to save money and travel better.
Hopper is a culture of makers. We build things.
At Hopper, our Leadership Principles underpin everything we do — who we hire, what we value in decision making, and how we determine career advancement. When designing our Leadership Principles, we drew inspiration from some of the world's most successful marketplaces, including Amazon.
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.