Senior Software Engineer, Back End/Data
- East Bay, CA, United States
- Los Angeles, CA, United States
- New York, NY, United States
- Seattle, WA, United States
- San Francisco, CA, United States
- Silicon Valley, CA, United States
- Kitchener, ON, Canada
- Montréal, QC, Canada
- Waterloo, ON, Canada
- Québec, QC, Canada
- Atlanta, GA, United States
- Dallas, TX, United States
- Houston, TX, United States
- Colorado Springs, CO, United States
- Boston, MA, United States
- Austin, TX, United States
- Chicago, IL, United States
- Denver, CO, United States
- San Diego, CA, United States
- San Jose, CA, United States
About the job:
As a Senior Full Stack Engineer, Back End/Data, you will contribute to building a product that impacts millions of users. You will design, build, scale, and maintain our reporting, attribution and data integration infrastructure. Your work will help inform, enrich and drive our business and marketing decisions - and in the process cross technical and functional boundaries, and deeply learn how our business works at scale. You will collaborate with a team of talented engineers, product managers, and data scientists to break down complex problems, and experiment with new ideas very quickly. Your contributions will be broad, and you’ll be expected to nimbly move across our tech stack.
Day to day, your work may range from helping to design and evolve the system architecture, supporting us as we scale, to building out end-to-end prototypes and other tests for product features and ideas, to inventing, iterating on and applying our latest frameworks to help optimize user experience in-app.
- Collaborate with a team of talented engineers to develop innovative solutions to challenging, impactful technical problems
- Quickly prototype new ideas and run experiments to identify features that users love
- Contribute both to maintenance, scale and improvement of our microservices back end, as well as to the tracking, attribution and various ETL pipelines (Scala/Python)
- Thoughtfully assist with the evolution and automation of our ops processes, participating in the on-call rotation for team owned services
- Help evolve our architecture, to consistently improve development efficiency
- Influence the technical direction for the team and the strategic direction of the product
- As a senior member of the team, mentor, support, and otherwise level up the more junior team members
- 5+ years professional experience full stack mobile development, functional-style (Scala, Haskell, Clojure, etc..) environment strongly preferred
- Thorough understanding of microservices architecture, and master of at least one server-side stack (preferably Scala or Python based)
- Comfortable making deep contributions to and navigating data pipelines at scale
- A proven ability to build prototypes and take a data-driven approach to product development, testing and measuring new ideas very quickly
- Passion for technical leadership and mentoring
About Hopper Inc
At Hopper, we’re on a mission to build the most customer-centric travel company on earth. We are leveraging the power that comes from combining massive amounts of data and machine learning to build the world’s fastest-growing mobile first travel marketplace — one that enables our customers to save money and travel better.
Hopper is a culture of makers. We build things.
At Hopper, our Leadership Principles underpin everything we do — who we hire, what we value in decision making, and how we determine career advancement. When designing our Leadership Principles, we drew inspiration from some of the world's most successful marketplaces, including Amazon.
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.