Software Engineer, Backend
- Austin, TX, United States
- Boston, MA, United States
- Montréal, QC, Canada
Hopper offers a stellar opportunity to have a massive impact: join a world-class engineering team at a company that is redefining how people travel. As a Software Engineer in our Air business unit, you will be directly responsible for designing, implementing, deploying and operating the complex backend systems that power Hopper’s award-winning user experience.
We have several open positions within our Air group. Here are a few examples of teams for which we are hiring!
Air Foundation The Air Foundation team is in charge of building and maintaining a reliable and scalable platform on which it serves Hopper’s flights customers. They care about reliability, scalability, performance, extensibility of flight search and booking processes. They empower product development teams by providing tools and platforms to keep feature development time to market low.
Self - Service The Air Self-Service team is in charge of building and maintaining the post-booking experience for users by introducing self-serve, fully automated solutions. They are also responsible for building automated tools to better enable Hopper’s customer service teams to engage with and support users.
Virtual Interlining The Air Virtual Interlining team is in charge of building complex mechanisms that generate trip options using a combination of airlines that do not codeshare or have any standing business relationships. These virtually interlined trip options offer a unique inventory that in turn, provides Hopper’s customers with incredible price-competitiveness.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
- Build and operate robust and performant infrastructure that supports millions of bookings per year
- Solve complex technical and software architecture problems
- Ship your first code in days, iterating on features in an agile manner
- Leverage and contribute to a rich micro service architecture system
- Collaborate with a diverse group of people, giving and receiving feedback for growth
- Execute on big opportunities, helping Hopper rise to the top of the travel industry
AN IDEAL CANDIDATE HAS:
- Passion for building engaging user experiences
- Interest and experience with site reliability engineering practices
- Thrived in backend engineering positions and delivered user experience at scale
- Experience or interest in learning distributed system development in Scala
- Excelled in cross-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Software Developers and Data Scientists
- Experience building and maintaining systems leveraging complex modelling and data at scale
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Dynamic and entrepreneurial team where pushing limits is everyday business
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k (US) or Retirement Savings Plan (Canada)
About Hopper Inc
At Hopper, we’re on a mission to build the most customer-centric travel company on earth. We are leveraging the power that comes from combining massive amounts of data and machine learning to build the world’s fastest-growing mobile first travel marketplace — one that enables our customers to save money and travel better.
Hopper is a culture of makers. We build things.
At Hopper, our Leadership Principles underpin everything we do — who we hire, what we value in decision making, and how we determine career advancement. When designing our Leadership Principles, we drew inspiration from some of the world's most successful marketplaces, including Amazon.
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.