- $150k - $200k
- 0.1% - 0.3%
Who are we?
Hugo is working to make financial stability achievable for every American.
We're starting with car insurance. 30 million Americans drive uninsured each year - risking major fines, losing their car / license, and in some places, jail. Our flagship product, Hugo Flex, is the world's first pay as you drive liability insurance. It eliminates large upfront premiums and fees, offering insurance in affordable daily bundles, so drivers can purchase what they need when they need it. Flex even lets drivers pause coverage to save money.
Who are you?
- You want to shake up a multi-billion dollar industry where the incumbents are taking advantage of people in under-served / lower-income brackets
- You value over-communication
- You're high-ownership
- You've Done It Yourself - you haven't relied on Data Engineers or
I.T.to get you what you need to work
- You love new, complex domains where your work will compete against the best
- You hunger to see your hypotheses tested by live price data so that you can see if you've found an edge
- You want to be the first Data Scientist and Growth hire
What will you do?
- Own Hugo member acquisition and retention
- Develop classification models based on years of large (but not Big) data from throughout the customer lifecycle
- Build pricing models to drive bid strategy, and partner with a dedicated senior engineer to implement them
- Optimize those models to scale across 50 states and multiple products and channels per state
- Own features & products from start to finish
- Challenge, and be challenged by, other senior engineers with their own areas of expertise
What won't you do?
- Mentor, manage, or team-build - we're focused on a flat company made up of expert individual contributors
- Take orders from Product - you'll be in the driving seat, drawing on Product for subject matter expertise
- Deal with Big Data - we're more like large data
- Produce research reports - instead, you'll be measured by your impact on growth, CAC, and LTV
What experiences do you have? (these are not requirements)
- 3+ years of data science experience
- Extensive experience working with Postgres or another SQL database
- Comfort with Nodejs (TypeScript is a plus) - this will make you totally self-propelled
- Great verbal and written communication skills
About Hugo Insurance
Our technology creates affordable on-demand car insurance for America's 50 million lower-income drivers
Hugo is high impact, high stakes engineering. We're relentlessly focused on the customer and their community - some of the most vulnerable households in America. This desire to make a difference drives us and inspires a sense of ownership. We also can't afford to make mistakes - when we go down, people get arrested. That means that we value considerate, sustainable engineering over crunch and crash.
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.