- $150k - $200k
- 0.1% - 0.3%
Who are we?
Hugo is working to make financial stability achievable for every American.
We're starting with car insurance. 30 million Americans drive uninsured each year - risking major fines, losing their car / license, and in some places, jail. Our flagship product, Hugo Flex, is the world's first pay as you drive liability insurance. It eliminates large upfront premiums and fees, offering insurance in affordable daily bundles, so drivers can purchase what they need when they need it. Flex even lets drivers pause coverage to save money.
Who are you?
- You want to shake up a multi-billion dollar industry where the incumbents are taking advantage of people in under-served / lower-income brackets
- You value over-communication
- You're high-ownership
- You enjoy designing thoughtful solutions in a collaborative way (eg tech team whiteboard sessions)
- You're always reaching for the edge cases that live between the lines of a feature
- You're excited to write the first lines of code for entirely new services / solutions, pairing best practices + first principles thinking
What will you do?
- Learn about, understand, and build first-of-their kind, high-impact financial products
- Create systems that are resilient and meaningful (if Hugo goes down, our members end up driving illegally)
- Own features & products from start to finish
- Build scalable backend systems and APIs to support real-time modifications to a car insurance policy
- Build elegant frontends for deprecated handsets
- Challenge, and be challenged by, other senior engineers with their own areas of expertise
What won't you do?
- Mentor junior / mid-level engineers - we only hire senior engineers
- Take orders from Product - you'll be in the driving seat, drawing on Product for subject matter expertise
- Witness an ever-growing tech debt backlog - we decide what gets built as a group
What experiences do you have? (these are not requirements)
- 5+ years of back-end AND front-end software engineering experience
- Extensive experience building RESTful APIs for internal and external products
- Experience with Postgres or another SQL database
- Experience with React
- Understanding of functional programming best practices
- Great verbal and written communication skills
About Hugo Insurance
Our technology creates affordable on-demand car insurance for America's 50 million lower-income drivers
Hugo is high impact, high stakes engineering. We're relentlessly focused on the customer and their community - some of the most vulnerable households in America. This desire to make a difference drives us and inspires a sense of ownership. We also can't afford to make mistakes - when we go down, people get arrested. That means that we value considerate, sustainable engineering over crunch and crash.
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.