- Los Angeles, CA, United States
Who are we?
Hugo is working to make financial stability achievable for every American. We're starting with car insurance. 30 million Americans drive uninsured each year - risking major fines, car impoundment, license suspension, and in some places, even jail. Our flagship product is Hugo, the world's first pay as you drive liability insurance. Hugo eliminates large upfront premiums and fees, and instead offers insurance in affordable daily bundles, so drivers can purchase what they need when they need it. Hugo even lets drivers pause coverage anytime to save money.
Who are you?
- You care about making an impact for an unserved market
- You want to shake up an industry where the incumbents are taking advantage of people in lower income brackets
- You value over-communication
- You like a healthy mix of organization and #yolo
- You enjoy designing thoughtful solutions in a collaborative way (aka tech team whiteboard sessions)
- You ask about the edge cases that live between the lines of a feature spec
- Excited to write the first lines of code for entirely new services / solutions, using best practices + first principles thinking
What will you do?
- Build a first-of-its-kind, interactive car insurance product
- Create systems that are resilient (if customers can't reach Hugo, we may be forcing them to drive illegally)
- Build scalable backend systems and APIs to support real-time modifications to a car insurance policy
- Mentor up-and-coming all-star software engineers
- Design, develop, and deploy fault-tolerant FinTech pipelines for quoting and accounting
What experiences do you have? (These are not hard requirements!)
- 5+ years of back-end software engineering experience
- Extensive knowledge of building RESTful APIs for internal and external products
- Extensive knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and design patterns
- Experience with Postgres or another SQL database
- Understanding of functional programming best practices
- Great verbal and written communication skills
About Hugo Insurance
Our technology creates affordable on-demand car insurance for America's 50 million lower-income drivers
Hugo is high impact, high stakes engineering. We're relentlessly focused on the customer and their community - some of the most vulnerable households in America. This desire to make a difference drives us and inspires a sense of ownership. We also can't afford to make mistakes - when we go down, people get arrested. That means that we value considerate, sustainable engineering over crunch and crash.
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.