- San Francisco, CA, United States
- Ruby on Rails
Hummingbird is a new platform for managing anti-money laundering and counter-terrorist financing operations. We are driven by the shared mission of fighting financial crime.
Our market is full of outdated thinking and inflexible solutions that don't fit in the evolving world of tech-forward financial services. Your work will help fight terrible crimes like human trafficking, political corruption, weapons sales, and drug cartels.
We are a customer-obsessed team. We love building and shipping great products. Our customers are financial crime fighters who are often drowning in paperwork and bureaucracy. We set a high bar for our work, and expect you to do the same. We challenge our assumptions, seek diverse opinions, and support each other to do great work.
As an engineer at Hummingbird, you will be instrumental in building the product and supporting infrastructure. As part of our small, expert product team, you will make a tremendous impact on the product, the codebase and the culture of our growing company. You will also have the opportunity to learn and participate in just about every part of running a company.
What we're looking for:
- Experience. You have extensive experience building software applications that can adapt and scale as your understanding of customer needs evolves.
- Making trade offs. You've built enough things that you can make trade offs when building features and systems.
- Comfort with ambiguity. You can take a high-level customer request, product idea or company requirement and build a solution to meet the need.
- Nothing is precious. You love the process and the iteration. You’re not married to specific ideas or solutions, and regularly throw out work (we do this through all parts of product development).
- Impact beyond code. You want to be more than hands on a keyboard, and know that your impact goes beyond the lines of code you write.
- Honesty and humility. You're honest with yourself and your peers about your strengths, weaknesses and what you can accomplish. You're constantly questioning your assumptions.
- Security and safety. You care about correctness, automated testing and data security. You are careful and methodical and incorporate security into your thinking at every stage of development.
- Growth mindset. You want to learn and know that you can. You like digging deeply into new technologies, new domains or new ideas. You're excited to take on something you've never done before.
- Self prioritization. You constantly ask yourself what your top priorities are and if you’re supporting the overall goals of the company. When things are not certain, you’re not shy about asking for help.
- Entrepreneurial spirit. You want to build something incredibly valuable and have real impact on the world. You're excited to get your hands dirty in pursuit of that goal.
Icing On The Cake:
- You've worked in financial services or the law enforcement space before.
- You know or want to learn about machine learning or blockchain technologies.
- You've designed and built data visualizations, preferably with d3.
- You've used Rails and React before.
- You have a keen eye for design and can build a feature without a detailed design mockup.
As a Software Engineer, you will be responsible for:
- Development and maintenance of the Hummingbird platform, including new and existing functionality.
- Reviewing our current system and identifying potential improvements.
- Working with team members in engineering, product, design, and compliance to define product requirements.
- Planning and documenting detailed approaches to implementing new functionality.
- Evaluating and selecting new technologies as needed to develop solutions.
- Writing high quality, efficient, and well-tested code for the Hummingbird platform.
- Sharing ideas for improving the Hummingbird platform.
- Performing timely code reviews for your colleagues.
Technologies we use and teach:
- AWS, Heroku
- PostgreSQL, Redis
Hummingbird is a platform for managing anti-money laundering and counter-terrorist financing operations.
We know how to make trade offs when building features and systems.
We are comfortable with ambiguity.
Nothing is precious. We love the process and the iteration. We're not married to specific ideas or solutions, and regularly throw out work.
We want to be more than hands on a keyboard, and know that our impact goes beyond the lines of code we write.
We're honest with ourselves and our peers about our strengths, weaknesses and what we can accomplish. We're constantly questioning our assumptions.
We care about correctness, automated testing and data security. We are careful and methodical and incorporate security into our thinking at every stage of development.
We want to learn, and know that we can. We like digging deeply into new technologies, new domains or new ideas. We're excited to take on something we've never done before.
We constantly ask ourselves what our top priorities are and if we're supporting the overall goals of the company.
We want to build something incredibly valuable and have real impact on the world. We're excited to get our hands dirty in pursuit of that goal.
- Ruby on Rails
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.