Software Engineer, Data Architect
- $120k - $250k
- 0.01% - 0.10%
We’re looking for a highly motivated engineer with the ability to lead the planning and execution of our data and analytics infrastructure at Ledger. Reliably transferring data into Ledger and making it easily accessible in a standardized way is absolutely critical to our mission at Ledger. We’re setting a new standard for real-time transparency in the insurance industry by making data available to investors daily rather than six months later.
At Ledger, you will:
- Architect and build the data and analytics infrastructure that powers thousands of insurance programs and $100+ billion in gross premiums
- Have a direct influence on user experience by building and maintaining APIs that power our user-facing applications
- Democratize access to data within Ledger so that teams are able to collaborate efficiently and combine data in new and creative ways
- Write and maintain API documentation that is concise, easy to understand, and redefines the way developers think about insurance data
- Directly influence and introduce new engineering standards, tooling, and processes that help the team scale
You will be effective if you have:
- Highly proficient in Python or comparable language
- Experience with Postgres or comparable database
- Experience with data automation and ETL (Kubernetes, Terraform, and Airflow are a plus)
- Experience with Docker
- Experience with serverless technologies like Lambda or GCF
- Experience with Flask/Django and building REST APIs or comparable frameworks
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
Nice to have:
- DevOps, CI/CD experience
- AWS or Google Cloud experience
- Collaboration tool experience (like JIRA)
- Data wrangling/cleaning experience (Pandas, Jupyter Notebook)
- Various database admin experience
Our hiring process:
- We will review your resume or LinkedIn/Work at startup profile and GitHub or live projects(s) if available
- We will schedule an initial phone or video call for 30min max to discuss your experience and expectations
- We will introduce you to talk to an engineer at Ledger
- We will evaluate your skills with a small code project intended to take a maximum of 3h
- We will have follow-on interviews with 1 or 2 members of Ledger
- We make an offer
- Generous Salary and possible Equity compensation
- Work from anywhere - Fully remote
- Healthcare Insurance premium participation
- Gym membership
- Quest 2 VR headset
- $5000 paid by Ledger towards your dream desk setup!
About Ledger Investing
Did you know that insurance companies issue over $1.3 trillion in premiums each year, just in the United States alone? While recent insurance tech firms like Lemonade and Metromile are focused on the frontend consumer experience of insurance, the backend of the insurance industry is largely unchanged and very few companies are focused on disrupting it.
That's where Ledger Investing comes in.
When an insurance company issues policies, they have to keep enough money reserves on hand to cover losses that may occur years later. The amount of reserves they're required to keep can be substantial and only the largest insurance companies are sophisticated enough to invest their reserves responsibility. If you're familiar with Warren Buffet and Berkshire Hathaway, he's famous for consistently generating market-beating returns using his reserves, to the point where his firm has probably made more from his investments than the insurance company itself!
Financing isn't a unique problem to the insurance industry. Mortgage lenders also need to get back the capital they lend out, otherwise they get meager returns over 30 years. But, the difference is that the mortgage industry has been able to sell (AKA
securitize) mortgage loans as mortgage-backed securities for over 50 years, so lenders can get their cash back and make new loans instead of being tied down for 30 years.
We're doing something similar for insurance industry by making insurance risk an investible asset class. By building a holistic platform, marketplace, and real-time analytics, we help:
- Insurance companies use Ledger to get capital faster with more flexible terms
- Investors invest in insurance to diversify their portfolio with returns that aren't correlated to the broader market
And it's working. We have multiple sources of revenue, and the traction on each one is growing by leaps and bounds with strong interest.
There are plenty of interesting problems to solve. We're looking for curious, passionate, and friendly engineers to join the team to help us transform the industry.
We value results and being scrappy. We have a tremendous opportunity to become an endearing, dominant force in the industry and are looking for people willing to roll up their sleeves on the hairy issues we face.
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.