- San Francisco, CA, United States
Our first API helps you programmatically send physical mail at scale. Our second is address verification—officially CASS-certified by the USPS. But our long-term goal is to provide the building blocks for developers to automate the offline world through APIs. We’re looking for great problem-solvers to help us figure out how.
As a member of our software engineering team, you’ll design and implement great products on a modern infrastructure. You’ll take ownership of web-scale engineering challenges that affect millions of people.
Our engineering team values agility, collaboration, and autonomy. We’re building a team of not just strong problem-solvers, but great collaborators—engineers who are excited to teach and learn from each other, share decisions and information freely, and work together on new problems that no other companies have solved before. Come join the best people in the business.
As a senior software engineer, you’ll...
- Scope, design, and implement solutions to original problems pertaining to existing, and new, APIs.
- Develop simple, elegant, scalable infrastructure that anticipates rapid growth and iteration.
- Use your background and experiences in the field to advocate for engineering best practices that make everyone around you more effective while minimizing risk.
- Collaborate with partners within Lob to troubleshoot business challenges, remove bottlenecks, and identify new opportunities for growth.
- Measure the effectiveness of our engineering work, and use data to drive decisions to help our customers.
- Coach and mentor other engineers.
For this role, we’re looking for...
- A track record of extraordinary problem-solving skills and technical judgment. You’ve solved complex technical challenges at web-scale that are ambiguous around the edges and weighing difficult design trade-offs.
- Exceptional collaborators and communicators. At Lob, you win by helping others succeed. You have concrete examples of ways you’ve gone above and beyond to help the people around you meet their goals.
- Experience building or working with APIs. It turns out that they’re a lot harder to design and change than they are to consume. You have Strong Opinions about what good API design looks like, informed by real-world experience.
- Experience working with modern web technologies at scale. It doesn’t necessarily matter which ones specifically if you know how to use them well. But, for what it’s worth, we like Node.js, Elixir, Angular, React, PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch, and most of the good parts of AWS.
We’re not just building a platform to make the world programmable. We’re also designing a great place to work.
Our team loves working at Lob because...
- Lob was built by technical co-founders with a vision to make the world programmable. We offer two flagship APIs (print & mail and address verification).
- Our business model is incredibly sustainable and Lob has thousands of customers ranging from startups to Fortune 100 companies. Customers use Lob’s suite of APIs to mail fully dynamic and personalized customer communications with print media
- Venture-backed by the most reputable investors in tech, we have the funding to invest in fast growth
- We are a small but dynamic and passionate team based in San Francisco. We give our employees a lot of responsibility and ownership of their work. You will have fun at work while engaging in challenging projects with the best and brightest
Our perks include:
- Health benefits for you and your dependent(s)
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Open vacation policy
- Commuter benefits
- Wellness program
- Paid parental leave
- Ground floor opportunity as an early member of the Lob team; you’ll directly shape the direction of our company
- Free lunch, dinner, and snacks
Lob provides the building blocks for developers to automate the offline world. Enterprise companies use Lob’s suite of APIs to mail fully dynamic and personalized customer communications with print media. We provide insight into deliverability with piece-by-piece tracing and utilize our proprietary Print Delivery Network to streamline production across fully redundant nodes all over the country.
Founded in 2013 and based in San Francisco, Lob is venture backed by Y Combinator, Polaris Partners, Floodgate, and First Round Capital.
We’ve been as deliberate about designing our culture as we are about designing our product. This means we’ve explicitly named and defined the behaviors that make our company culture special. We give them weight by using them to make decisions about hiring and career progression. We also use them as a framework for giving each other props at our all-hands meeting; calling out and publicly appreciating when people exemplify our values keeps them relevant every day.
Be an Investor
Strength in the Collective
Power in Diversity
Be a Scientist
Get (sh)it Done
Draw the Blueprint
Engineering at Lob is unique because it is characterized by two themes:
We have great technical judgment
- We interpret business problems to engineering designs and code that are easy to reason about and can be changed without fear.
- We make decisions that are appropriate to the scope of the project at hand. How scalable or performant should our code be? What languages, frameworks, and data stores be used? The only right answer at Lob is
We are world-class collaborators and communicators
- We strive to create mental clarity at every step in the process of building and shipping code—whether we're researching user needs, defining project requirements and deliverables, building prototypes, or scaling out production applications.
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.