- San Francisco, CA, United States
Our team builds APIs that power the offline world. We started with our print and mail API, which helps developers programmatically send, route, and track physical mail at scale. Since addresses are the gateway to the offline world, our second API is address verification, which helps people make sure the things they’re sending actually get there. Customers and developers love our products, and we’re growing fast to meet their needs.
As a member of our software engineering team, you’ll design and implement great products on a modern infrastructure. You’ll take ownership of web-scale engineering challenges that affect millions of people.
Our engineering team is collaborative, inclusive, autonomous, agile, direct, and kind. We recognize how lucky we are to work at a fast-growth startup, so we have fun while we work and give back to the world. We believe that diverse backgrounds and ideas result in better products and outcomes. Inc. Magazine recognized us as a Best Workplace for 2018.
Fun Fact: Since 2015, every intern we extended a full-time return offer to has accepted. We are excited to teach and learn from each other, we share decisions and information freely, and work together on new problems that no other companies have solved before.
As a software engineer at Lob, you’ll...
- Research, design, and build solutions to original problems pertaining to existing and new APIs. Everyone on our team gets to take ownership of problems—not just the most senior or tenured engineers.
- Contribute to codebases in Node, Elixir, or Go in a hybrid microservices and serverless ecosystem.
- Collaborate with stakeholders throughout Lob to troubleshoot business challenges, remove bottlenecks, and identify new opportunities for growth.
- Measure the effectiveness of our engineering work, and use data to drive decisions to help our customers.
For this role, we’re looking for...
- Full-stack (backend, frontend, and database) experience in a modern web framework. Show us how you’ve used technology to solve problems.
- Exceptional collaborators and communicators. At Lob, you win by helping others succeed. You have concrete examples of ways you’ve gone above and beyond to help the people around you meet their goals.
- Experience building or working with APIs. It turns out that they’re a lot harder to design and change than they are to consume. You have Strong Opinions about what good API design looks like, informed by real-world experience.
- We’re not just building a platform to make the world programmable. We’re also designing a great place to work.
Our team loves working at Lob because...
- Lob was built by technical co-founders with a vision to make the world programmable. We offer two flagship APIs (print & mail and address verification).
- Our business model is incredibly sustainable and Lob has thousands of customers ranging from startups to Fortune 100 companies. Customers use Lob’s suite of APIs to mail fully dynamic and personalized customer communications with print media.
- Venture-backed by the most reputable investors in tech, we have the funding to invest in fast growth.
- We are a small but dynamic and passionate team based in San Francisco. We give our employees a lot of responsibility and ownership of their work. You will have fun at work while engaging in challenging projects with the best and brightest.
Our perks include:
- Health benefits for you and your dependent(s)
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Open vacation policy
- Commuter benefits
- Wellness program
- Paid parental leave
- Ground floor opportunity as an early member of the Lob team; you’ll directly shape the direction of our company
- Free lunch, dinner, and snacks
Lob provides the building blocks for developers to automate the offline world. Enterprise companies use Lob’s suite of APIs to mail fully dynamic and personalized customer communications with print media. We provide insight into deliverability with piece-by-piece tracing and utilize our proprietary Print Delivery Network to streamline production across fully redundant nodes all over the country.
Founded in 2013 and based in San Francisco, Lob is venture backed by Y Combinator, Polaris Partners, Floodgate, and First Round Capital.
Find out more about Lob and what we’re up to by following our blog: https://lob.com/blog or visiting our website: https://lob.com/careers
We’ve been as deliberate about designing our culture as we are about designing our product. This means we’ve explicitly named and defined the behaviors that make our company culture special. We give them weight by using them to make decisions about hiring and career progression. We also use them as a framework for giving each other props at our all-hands meeting; calling out and publicly appreciating when people exemplify our values keeps them relevant every day.
Be an Investor
Strength in the Collective
Power in Diversity
Be a Scientist
Get (sh)it Done
Draw the Blueprint
Engineering at Lob is unique because it is characterized by two themes:
We have great technical judgment
- We interpret business problems to engineering designs and code that are easy to reason about and can be changed without fear.
- We make decisions that are appropriate to the scope of the project at hand. How scalable or performant should our code be? What languages, frameworks, and data stores be used? The only right answer at Lob is
We are world-class collaborators and communicators
- We strive to create mental clarity at every step in the process of building and shipping code—whether we're researching user needs, defining project requirements and deliverables, building prototypes, or scaling out production applications.
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.