Senior Backend Engineer
- New York, NY, United States
- San Francisco, CA, United States
- Silicon Valley, CA, United States
- Washington, D.C., DC, United States
- Phoenix, AZ, United States
Mosaic is a construction technology company focusing on homebuilding. We serve as a turn-key general contractor for medium-sized homebuilders while also developing a software platform that we use to automate and streamline our construction operations. Our vision is to leverage our platform to create the world’s most scalable homebuilding operation and to empower homebuilders everywhere.
Today, with our Series A led by Andreessen Horowitz, $24M+ in total funding, and a recent $100M partnership with a best-in-class, innovative homebuilder, we’re launching our platform to build better communities together with our partner towards our mission of making places people love and making them widely available.
We have one speed at Mosaic: full speed. With over 100 homes under active construction, we have an incredible advantage over the rest of the construction technology industry. Our ability to move quickly, stay nimble, and embrace change is critical to maintaining that advantage. Our strategy, projects, titles, and focus may change. But what will not change is our speed. Individuals who exhibit and resonate with these values are likely to find success with us. You can read more about Mosaic and our mission here.
As a Senior Backend Engineer on our team, you will use an open source technology stack to build an industry-first suite of construction management applications, services, and tools. These technologies are a critical component to Mosaic's growing differentiation in construction operations.
Locations: D.C., Phoenix, San Francisco, Remote
In this role, you will:
- Design, build, implement and maintain key construction management applications, services, products, and tools
- Work in a Product Team with a product manager, product designer, tech lead, and other engineers to discover, develop, and deploy solutions to achieve business outcomes
- Participate, propose, and iterate the core data models and APIs that will enable our growing ecosystem of construction management tools and applications
- Standup infrastructure and deploy applications to cloud providers
- Design systems that strike the appropriate balance between scalability and complexity
- Perform and participate in the entire lifecycle of new systems and features, from prototyping and spec'ing to implementing and testing
- Mentor junior engineering team members
- Work with a small, mission-driven team that loves philosophical discussions
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent experience
- Experience with relational databases (e.g., Postgres) including stored procedures, views, and complex join queries.
- A deep understanding of HTTP Restful APIs and a working knowledge of GraphQL
- Experience with cloud providers (e.g., Heroku, AWS...)
- Strong communicator, particularly for technical writing and data model design
- Exceptional teamwork skills and partnering with remote teams
- Ability to write well-tested and well-structured code
- A healthy curiosity for new technology but a deep understanding of proven technology
- Fluidity in TypeScript
- Experience in the construction management and operation space
- Experience with GraphQL and/or Hasura
- Experience with Terraform or similar Infrastructure-as-Code tool
- Proven record of working in a fast-paced, startup environment
- Ability to work autonomously and comfortable with ambiguity
- Patience and attention to detail
- Self-awareness to grow and adapt in an evolving environment
- Experience designing, architecting, and building an ERP system
- Interest in construction, architecture, or affordable housing
We Promise You:
- Competitive salary with substantial equity and 401(k)
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Sincere commitment to your growth
Check out company news on the Mosaic blog or read this recent announcement from our investors!
Interested in other opportunities at Mosaic? Visit our Careers Page to view all of our current job openings.
Mosaic is a construction technology company making homebuilding more scalable. We offer general-contracting-as-a-service to manage construction on behalf of homebuilders, enabling them to build more homes more efficiently. To do so, we create software to power our construction team. By standardizing the process (homebuilding) and not the product (homes), we’re delivering places people love and creating better communities.
With our Series A led by Andreessen Horowitz, $24M+ in total funding, and a recent $100M partnership with a best-in-class, innovative homebuilder, we’ve launched our platform to build better communities together and work towards our mission of building places people love and making them widely available.
Mosaic’s mission is to help people feel at home in the world. To that end, we welcome what makes each team member unique in background or experiences and are committed to ensuring their happiness at Mosaic and growth in their careers. Just as we seek to create communities that help people discover their purpose, so do we seek to create a team culture that can do the same. As a team, we meet once every month or two in for a multi-day retreat in different destinations across the US. We call these Heartbeat meetings and its a time for the entire team to come together, discuss strategies, business, cook meals together, play board games and go on hikes.
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.