Director of Engineering - Backend
- Los Angeles, CA, United States
- $160k - $180k
- 0.2% - 0.6%
- React Native
We are building the future of freight
At Mothership, we believe in unlocking the world's potential through speeding up the delivery of everything people need. Started in 2017, we’re backed by some of venture capital’s best investors and have already become the logistics backbone for many of today’s most innovative companies.
To accelerate our mission and success, we’re looking for a Director of Backend Engineering with a proven track record to build and expand our world class team. If that's you, come help us reshape logistics. Together we'll replace tired and comfortable incumbents with a modern marketplace built around speed, ease of use and fairness. You will successfully manage a team of engineers and architect the next generation of technology at the company. You will report directly to the Head of Engineering and work closely with the CTO and heads of each department.
The ideal candidate for this position is expected to have an established background in building highly scalable systems and system design. You should have excellent project management, communication, and motivational skills to achieve results in a fast paced environment. You should be somebody who enjoys working on complex system software, is product-centric, and feels strongly about writing clean and scalable code.
What you’ll get to do
- Join a fast-growing engineering team and oversee the design & development of a suite of backend services to deliver the best freight shipping experience in the universe
- Manage a team of engineers and take the lead on feature development to enhance our customer website and driver mobile app experience, and build tools to enhance our sophisticated internal management system to help our operations team succeed
- Build for scalability as we quickly grow and expand our network from a few to many cities
- What success looks like in this role
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in Computer Science or equivalent
- 8+ years in a lead or senior software engineer role
- Strong experience with modern programming language, especially Typescript and Node.js
- Strong experience building scalable REST APIs and microservices to support mobile and web clients
- Experience writing comprehensive unit and integration tests
- Experience with databases, especially non-relational, document-oriented DBs (MongoDB)
- Experience with dev-ops tools and SaaS services (Heroku, AWS, Firebase)
- Comfortable with fast-paced, collaborative, iterative environment
- Experience working at a tech startup
- Familiarity with machine learning, AI platforms
- Familiarity with route optimization
- Familiarity with React, React Native and/or native mobile development
Technologies we're working with
- NodeJS + Express
- React & React Native
About Mothership Technologies, Inc.
Our platform allows shippers to book and connect freight with a nearby truck in under a minute. They save time and receive optimal rates while enjoying a paperless process and access to real-time tracking.
Driver partners earn more and set their businesses on auto-pilot when we fill otherwise wasted space with optimally routed freight, eliminate the need for after hours paperwork and pay them out instantly.
We are hackers at heart who run fast and do more with less. Our unlimited vacation policy and office amenities are only but a small perk atop the endless stack of interesting and complicated problems to solve. Engineers at Mothership crave building and adopting the latest and greatest technologies.
- React Native
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.