- San Francisco, CA, United States
- Typescript. React. NodeJS. Postgres.
The best way to understand Notion is to play with the product: www.notion.so.
Or, read the story behind the product: www.notion.so/about
We've heard Notion described many ways. It can be as simple as a blank piece of paper, making writing feel light and delightful. It can be as complex as a relational database that stores huge amounts of data. We sometimes compare it to a set of Legos (if Legos were designed by The New York Times). But at its core, Notion is a toolbox of software building blocks that let you manage your life and work however you find most useful.
And here's how the press has talked about us:
So, what will you do as a Full Stack Engineer at Notion?
- You'll build new product features from start to finish: through conception, research, maintenance, and polish. Think features to improve team collaboration, such as a better commenting experience.
- You'll build improvements to performance, reliability, and product polish — for example, improving the efficiency and performance of our editor.
- You'll build and improve processes and internal tools with simplicity and productivity in mind — such as, a tool to sync valuable user feedback with our internal Notion database.
This might be for you if...
- You've built and maintained quality user interfaces that have reached a large audience, ideally while the product is experiencing rapid growth.
- You can readily learn most technologies as you go. To you, technologies are about tools and tradeoffs, not an ideology.
- You care about the business implications of anything you build. You're not just going after cool stuff — you understand the balance between craft, speed, and the bottom line.
- You've spent meaningful time as a senior engineer or tech lead — or even better, you've managed a team before.
- Bonus: You're fluent with Typescript, NodeJS, Postgres, Docker.
- Bonus: You're familiar with the work of computing and science heroes like Ada Lovelace, Douglas Engelbart, Alan Kay, etc. — and understand why we're big fans.
What benefits can I expect?
- Top of the line health, dental, and vision insurance.
- 401(k) matching, to help you save for the future.
- New laptop/equipment of your choice.
- Daily lunch (on us!) and monthly commuter credits.
- Flexible vacation time.
- Team retreats twice a year — including plus-ones! Past trips have been to Hawaii, Tahoe, and Breckenridge, Colorado.
- Dog-friendly office 🐶
Is this role only full-time? Can I work remotely?
- While Notion is working remotely during the COVID-19 crisis, we're a tight-knit team and would like engineers to work full-time from our San Francisco office in normal circumstances. We'll of course provide financial assistance for relocation if you'd need to move to the Bay Area.
We shape our tools, thereafter our tools shape us. - Marshall McLuhan
At Notion, our goal is to create the general purpose work tool for a post-file, post-Microsoft Office world.
My cofounder and I often joke that this was the
hot startup topic of the 90s. But conceptually, tools for knowledge workers haven't advanced much since then. The state of art is something like Google Docs, Quip, or Dropbox Paper (which are just multiplayer versions WordPerfect) or rigid SAAS apps (Visual Basic on the web by outsourced IT). To end users, knowledge and workflows are trapped in different
silos, and the best people can do is to duct-tape everything together, previously with emails, nowadays perhaps with Slack.
Notion wants to challenge this status quo of
software as silos. At the moment, Notion bundles real-time documents, wiki-like organization, lightweight tasks, and a general purpose database/spreadsheet in one tool—but this is just the beginning.
Our product: https://notion.so
Our company story: https://notion.so/about
Our Twitter account: https://twitter.com/NotionHQ
Our YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoSvlWS5XcwaSzIcbuJ-Ysg
Our release notes (we ship fast!): https://www.notion.so/notion/What-s-New-157765353f2c4705bd45474e5ba8b46c
We're one of the most popular products on Product Hunt: https://twitter.com/ProductHunt/status/763151320115089409, https://www.producthunt.com/posts/notion-1-0-mac-app, https://www.producthunt.com/posts/notion-2-0
- Heavy on humanity: we love history, art, jazz, fashion...
- Fast & flat
- A big family: We go out for lunch together everyday (Mission has a lot of good restaurants)
- Open minded and curious
- Typescript. React. NodeJS. Postgres.
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.