Prefect is the new standard in dataflow automation. Our remote-first company is singularly focused on this vision, and every team member directly contributes to its advancement. Every role solves a problem, and everyone can see exactly how their work helps achieve our mission.
To that end, we've carefully created a positive, high-performance culture - the operating system of our company - that empowers our team to do the best work of their careers and achieve their personal and professional aspirations.
We are looking for folks who want to join a remote-first team to build an equally amazing company and product. In deciding whether to apply for a role at Prefect, consider whether your values align with our values and standards and check out our top-of-the-line benefits and perks.
As a Senior Software Engineer at Prefect, you will work on and lead projects essential to the success of the company. You will focus on scaling our API with expert knowledge of databases and in-memory datastore systems. These systems need to provide extremely low latency to support high throughput of requests that orchestrate events in real time.
You will coordinate with the Prefect team, including our CTO and CEO, on new features and help Prefect accomplish our product roadmap. You will identify opportunities for improvement, resolve conflicts, track risks and dependencies, and champion successful outcomes. You will be a mentor and provide leadership to other members of the engineering team.
Our engineers are product focused and enthusiastic to take on new challenges and guide our product and culture forward.
You will report to our amazing Chief of Staff to the CTO, Kingsley.
Expectations (you will):
- Improve and scale our product to stay one step ahead of the high demand and traffic
- Set up monitoring to finely tune our queries and database performance
- Familiarity with multi database technologies and access patterns (for example, PostgreSQL, BigQuery, or Snowflake)
- Develop new features from our product roadmap
- Mentor members of the engineering team
- Champion our culture and foster a collaborative working environment
- Embody ownership: contribute and advocate for your ideas, while also preventing projects from failing
- Think through extreme edge cases without losing sight of providing a simple user experience
Qualifications (you have):
- 5+ years experience working with Python (including asyncio)
- 5+ years of working with and maintaining databases (preferably PostgreSQL) and datastores (such as redis)
- Experience deploying and monitoring scalable Kubernetes applications
- Experience with cloud services (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Advanced knowledge of building highly available systems
- Experience delivering projects from creation to production
- Leadership experience
Bonus Points (we'd like you to have):
- Knowledge of GraphQL and GraphQL servers
- Experience with Apollo and Hasura
- Experience contributing to open source projects
- Experience as a successful people manager
- Experience in a startup
- Experience with data engineering and data science workflows
- … and an understanding of how and when to
break the moldwhen the best practice for Prefect deviates from an industry standard
Sarah is an live person (👋🏻) and is looking forward to learning more about you through your application.
Prefect is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages applications from people of all backgrounds. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation and gender identity/expression), national origin, disability or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws
Prefect is a dataflow automation tool. Our tool allows our users to orchestrate the modern stack. Prefect is the easiest way to build, run, and monitor data pipelines at scale.
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.