We are looking for an extraordinary backend engineer who will join us to build and maintain clean, modern applications. As part of the team responsible for building the Quartzy Shop, your focus will be on building the APIs and backend infrastructure that enhance scientists’ shopping experience
You are a self-starter with a bias for action, and you can take projects from start to finish. You want to work as part of a small, tightly-knit team that moves quickly and pushes changes to production many times a day. You always admired your friends in science, but your knack for computers led you to programming.
Quartzy is the world’s #1 lab management platform. Every day, hundreds of thousands of scientists from all over the world improve the efficiency of their research by using Quartzy. Our team is passionate about accelerating scientific research through well-designed, meaningful tools for labs and companies alike. We value openness, transparency, and good communication, because, after all, we are in this together.
What you'll do
- Design and implement new functionality from the ground up.
- Work closely with your team to design and develop a robust REST API.
- Measure and improve site performance and scalability.
- Write well-tested code that is resilient to heavy iteration.
What we're looking for
- A minimum of 3-5 years of professional experience in similar roles.
- Demonstrable experience writing clean, thoughtfully crafted PHP that scales.
- Experience with other parts of our technology stack: MySQL, Elasticsearch, Redis, Beanstalkd, RabbitMQ, nginx, Git.
- The ability and desire to own projects that directly impact Quartzy's bottom line.
- An entrepreneurial attitude that enables you to get high-quality projects done quickly.
- A strong communicator. You write well and can easily explain complex technical concepts to non-technical people.
What we'd love
- A background working with mission-critical financial systems.
- Experience fine tuning Elasticsearch indexes to get your searches just right.
- Familiarity with asynchronous worker queues.
- Experience working in a dynamic startup environment.
- Occasionally, you end the day with more lines of code removed than added; and that feels great.
What we offer
- Pick your home office setup. It's on us.
- Rich medical benefits(health, dental, and vision).
- A fully remote engineering team, since early 2019.
- Read more about our team culture here.
Does that sound like you? We'd love to hear from you.
Quartzy is an online laboratory management system and marketplace designed for research labs at pharma, biotech and academic institutions.
These are the values that drive our decisions. We strive to have a culture that is:
Problem Solving: We keep the ego out of problem solving – if you see a problem and you have an idea to solve it, let’s hear it. We are realistic about expectations and constraints involved in any problem and solution. If it’s a viable solution to a real problem, we will implement it.
Collaboration: Every team in our company is interconnected. A decision made on one team affects several others. We strive to be collaborative with teams and individuals through clear communication and a mutual respect. We may not always agree, but we are all working together towards one goal.
Iterative: We believe in small changes that add up. We embrace failure, learn from it, and adapt.
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.