- San Francisco, CA, United States
When deploying applications in production, developers are forced to pick between two extremes: expensive yet simplistic platforms like Heroku, or complicated, do-it-all-yourself services like AWS. By contrast, Render makes it easy to get up and running quickly but also allows applications to scale and increase in complexity over time, preventing a transition to DIY infrastructure.
Our goal is to completely free up developers and teams from managing infrastructure. This will ultimately improve all software and enable entirely new kinds of applications.
We're building products that abstract over complexity and minimize cognitive overhead for our customers. This requires careful thought, high creativity and a deep understanding of application requirements in production. We believe that the best UX is invisible, and we strive to exceed customer expectations with a product that is incredibly intuitive and delightful, even in the tiniest of details. We're looking for engineers with high integrity, low ego, and an insatiable drive to learn. Our platform serves over a billion requests every month and we have tens of thousands of users including Cypress.io, Bloomscape, NYU, and US presidential campaigns. We have product-market fit and rapidly increasing revenue, and we're backed by the same early stage investors behind Airbnb, Snap, and Stripe.
As a UX engineer at Render, you will take ownership of the interactions and experiences of tens of thousands of developers as they use our platform. You will build visually appealing and intuitive interfaces that make developers want to use Render even if they don't have a project to host on it.
You should already have a few years of experience building detailed product interactions and workflows. You should also have a keen understanding of UX design, and extensive experience collaborating with product and design teams in building complex frontend applications in React. Prior experience developing design systems is a plus.
Engineering at Render
We're a small team of world-class engineers. We have complete ownership for every project we take on and expect the same from you. We review all major code changes through pull requests, and are always pushing ourselves to do better. We iterate quickly and deploy to production several times a day.
Why join us
- We're solving a problem faced by every developer and development team. It's a massive and rapidly growing market (AWS is privately valued at over $200B, and there are over 30 million professional developers globally).
- Delightful UX is the one of the biggest differentiators for Render, and as our first UX engineer you will have tremendous impact on the product and company's trajectory.
- Everyone wants to move their infrastructure to Kubernetes, but it's too complex for the average development team. Render makes it possible to get the power of Kubernetes without any of its complexity.
- Top engineering leaders from VMware, Dropbox, Heroku and GitHub are some of our biggest investors and cheerleaders.
- The company is led by Anurag Goel, who was employee #8 and Head of Risk at Stripe. He helped Stripe scale from 10 to over 400 people and is applying many of the same principles that helped Stripe succeed to Render.
What you will work on
- You will work with the design team on Render's website and dashboard, continuously improving their visual appeal and ease of use.
- You will collaborate with Render engineers to build user interfaces for upcoming products and features.
- You will create high fidelity prototypes to help find solutions to thorny interaction problems.
- You will create unit and integration tests for the frontend using tools like Jest and Enzyme, and end-to-end testing pipelines using tools like Cypress (a Render customer!)
- You will own the observability of user interactions and use this data to drive improvements across the board.
- You will create a world class onboarding experience for Render users and continue to refine it based on data.
Some benefits we offer
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision coverage with PPO plans and 100% of your premiums paid by Render.
- 99th percentile stock grants and a comfortable San Francisco salary.
- Four weeks paid vacation, and vacation days are only counted when you take more than one at a time.
- Work from home if you have a delivery or chore to take care of.
- 3 months paid maternity and paternity leave.
- Commuter benefits including Lyft and SF Muni passes.
- A sunny, beautiful, well-stocked office in SoMa close to Caltrain and BART.
- Monthly gym membership allowance.
- Build your own laptop/workstation with any peripheral or accessory you need.
- Use the company card to order any work-related ebook or p-book, and buy anything to make your work environment more ergonomic.
- Financial and logistical assistance to help you relocate to the Bay Area.
- Immigration assistance.
- Birthday celebrations, weekly happy hours, company dinners, and semi-annual team retreats.
- Surprise gifts for the holidays!
You are a great fit for this role if
- You have a few years of professional experience building complex frontend applications and experiences. Bonus points if you’ve excelled at a small, high-growth startup.
- You have a user-centric mindset and impressive attention to detail.
- You thrive in a collaborative environment and believe in direct, open and honest communication.
- You are self-directed, curious by nature and an impressively quick learner.
- You are unfazed by unfamiliar challenges and enjoy figuring things out on your own.
- Bonus points for experience developing design systems and conducting user research.
The ideal candidate would check everything above but you should certainly apply if you identify with most of it.
Working at Render
We value high integrity, low ego, an affinity for continuous learning, and the ability to figure things out quickly. We're always open to being wrong, and we love to improve our work through reasoned discussion and constant feedback. We trust and respect each other tremendously which makes doing all of this easy.
We'd love to hear from you!
At Render, we are building a powerful, easy-to-use platform to host anything on the web: from simple static sites to complex applications with dozens of microservices. Render offers the flexibility of traditional cloud providers without the maintenance headaches, so developers and teams can focus on product development rather than server management.
We're a talented, small, and diverse group, solving a problem faced by every development team. We iterate quickly while placing the utmost importance on customer experience and product quality. We push ourselves to do better every day. With tens of thousands of customers and rapidly growing revenue, we're on to something big.
We're looking for candidates with high integrity, low ego, and an insatiable drive to learn. We love to improve our work through reasoned discussion and constant feedback. We trust and respect each other by default.
Our interview process is unique to each role, and we value the candidate experience just as highly as our customer experience. We hope your experience with us— no matter the outcome— will reflect a thoughtfully crafted interview process that respects your time and allows both parties to get to know each other's potential. We especially encourage members of underrepresented groups in the tech community to apply.
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.