Sonder is building the future of hospitality. With tech, we are scaling the management of short term rentals, bringing together an amazing, local stay with hotel-like service. Think of us as an UltraHost on Airbnb—we have a large portfolio of properties with top-notch design, amenities, and service available at a great price. Our engineering team is hard at work building out solutions across supply chain, procurement, logistics, dispatch, customer experience, and more. Like Uber did to transportation, Sonder will do to hospitality.
Why join us?
Sonder is a huge opportunity. We are directly disrupting the $550B hotels and hospitality market. We're making great progress and Airbnb and others in hospitality are starting to notice.
Sonder has a very strong business. We've proven out the model, showing very strong revenue and are on track to exceed 4X growth in 2018.
Sonder is still early. This segment is relatively new and there's a ton of growth ahead of us. We are making big pushes in 2018 (North America) and 2019 (International).
Sonder is well-funded. We are backed by top tier firms who believe in our visions. We have the funding to not only fuel our growth but also to make sure Sonder is a great place to work.
Engineering at Sonder
- There are 15 engineers that work closely with two leads (Director and VP)
- Engineers are highly autonomous; they execute projects end-to-end, owning and driving business outcomes while working with cross-functional stakeholders (Ops, Data Science, Business, etc)
- The roadmap is crafted in collaboration with engineers and are largely driven by company priorities and engineering investments as needed
- The leads support the team (remove blockers, PM fill-in, stakeholder management), and spend a large amount of time building the tech team (Eng, Product, Design)
We work in the physical world so the key challenges revolve around building technology to handle real-world complexity.
- Forecasting: how do we acquire the best (i.e. beautiful, profitable, strategic, sustainable) real estate?
- Pricing: how do we set the right prices to maximize revenues while maintaining growth?
- Dispatch: hospitality is heavily human-driven, so how do we optimally dispatch labor across a city?
- Connected Home: how do we leverage the latest in IoT to produce a magical experience for our guests?
Supply Distribution - The majority of our guests discover Sonder through OTAs (online travel agents) like Airbnb, Expedia, HomeAway, and more. We need to a system that scales the complexity of managing our growing portfolio across a breadth of OTAs. This is a key initiative that directly impacts business growth as well as improves our operational efficiency and reliability.
Human Dispatch - Hospitality is a high-touch industry involving humans. Two key functions performed are housekeeping and maintenance, for which we need to dispatch workers across the city—think Uber dispatch for humans instead of cars. We are building an app and system that will help us physically scale this labor force across a city. It requires a deep understanding of our users and the ability to handle complex coordination challenges.
Connected Home - What if you walked into your vacation unit without a physical key? What if your favorite music started playing right away? What if the temperature was exactly where you like it? Create a magical stay experience through leveraging the latest in IoT like smart locks, smart thermostats, smart audio, and more. Just like Uber created a magical ride, we want to create a magical stay.
Working at Sonder
We love travel and seek to celebrate the beauty and uniqueness of the experiences we all love to have. To do this, we believe in fully living up to our hospitality culture value. We go the extra mile for our customers, both external and internal. We celebrate wins, recognize achievements, and invite feedback to improve. We make sure to set aside time to have fun and get to know our teammates.
Unlimited, for real. Mandatory 2-week minimum.
Daily lunch, gourmet coffee, snacks, weekly happy hour and dinner.
$1,000/year in credits to stay at any Sonder unit worldwide. 25% discount on all Sonder bookings. FREE last-minute (48 hrs) Sonder bookings.
In the heart of the Design District, our office is custom designed by our in-house Interior Design team. High ceilings, bright windows, plenty of space to breathe.
Every year, we fly all employees into HQ to learn, meet, and celebrate our hard work.
Monthly culture budget for teams to go out and have fun!
Most employees are out of the office by 5:30!
Interested in this company?
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.