- Machine Learning
Our Cloud Engineering Team is growing and we are in search of an enthusiastic and curious engineer to be a part of the journey. Symmetry is an early stage startup in a new category of technology called Data Store and Object Security (DSOS). We are making our mark with customers and prospects through interesting data visualizations and seamless workflows backed by machine learning.
The Cloud Engineering Team is the architectural glue at Symmetry. This team interfaces with our backend/API, machine learning, visualization and frontend development teams. They collaborate with members of those teams to orchestrate an automated, reliable and scalable deployment architecture involving Docker, Kubernetes and Terraform. This team has the most comprehensive touch points with our entire technology stack, which includes: Python/Flask, React, R, MySQL, Redis, ElasticSearch, Kibana and Neo4j.
Research around secure deployments and modern technologies, as well as participating in consistent threat modeling exercises is a substantial portion of the responsibilities for this role. In addition, this team works diligently integrating reliable telemetry and forensic capabilities into our deployment architecture.
What We Need
Ideal candidates for this role will have a background in architecting, deploying and operating cloud native systems at scale. Our product is designed for processing massive sets of data, both structured and unstructured. Having experience working with cloud native datastores and services will help. Most importantly, having a DevOps mindset focused around automation, measurement and forensic investigations will serve you well in this role.
We look for candidates who exhibit an entrepreneurial spirit and want to shape the future of this product with a bit of personal creativity. You are passionate about your work, show attention to detail, take initiative, have an infectious team spirit, and of course exhibit a collaborative attitude. It doesn’t hurt to have a good sense of humor too! We are especially interested if you love telling compelling visual stories about rich data experiences.
What You Will Do
- Research, design, develop, and support of the Symmetry DataGuard Reference Architecture and deployment infrastructure.
- Recommend and create innovative solutions that balance security standards with Symmetry customer business requirements.
- Define and evangelize cloud/application security best practices for the other development teams.
- Stay on-top of the latest known CVE/CWE threats to our application infrastructure and code for remediation purposes.
- Recommend, implement and administer cloud and application security controls.
- Perform Threat Modeling exercises to ensure that the Symmetry DataGuard solution is best of breed and has minimal risk to our customer deployments.
- Contribute to our growing infrastructure of code measurement and automated testing via unit, integration, component, acceptance, performance and security testing as part of our automated build pipeline.
- Collaborate closely with our Product Designer and Leadership team to iterate on the Symmetry DataGuard architecture, deployment features and roadmap.
- Measure, iterate and optimize the performance of each service in the architecture.
- Provide on-call support to our field engineering team, prospects and customers when in need.
- Practice agile ceremonies and best practices with the DataGuard team.
- Participate in code reviews and pull requests.
- Mentor other engineers.
What You Will Bring
- Experience maintaining / operating cloud deployments (AWS, GCP or Azure).
- Programming experience in Python and/or Go.
- Demonstrable knowledge of Docker, Kubernetes, Helm and Terraform.
- Production experience with ephemeral datastores such as Redis or Memcached.
- Attacker mindset and experience with Threat Modeling.
- Experience with ethical hacking and vulnerability management reporting.
- Experience with relational datastores (MySQL or Postgres) and/or non-relational stores (ElasticSearch or MongoDB).
- Familiarity with infrastructure security and knowledgeable regarding cloud security misconfigurations and anti-patterns (ex: over privilege, public data stores).
- Confidence and composure when asked to work collaboratively with prospects and customers.
- Ability to google basic commands for Git, Docker, Kubernetes and Terraform.
- Awareness that DevOps is not the name of a position or title, but rather a set of processes and practices to deliver high quality software in a seamless fashion.
What We Offer
- Competitive salary and equity package.
- 401k with matching program, up to 4% matching.
- Comprehensive health coverage (medical, dental and vision).
- Work from anywhere experience.
- Generous on-boarding allowance to create an exceptional work from anywhere experience.
- Welcome swag box full of fun goodies and gear.
- Unlimited PTO and company holidays with a required 2 weeks time-off to refresh the mind and body.
- Annual professional development fund for certifications, conferences, books and training classes.
- Paid parental leave.
- Continuous training and mentorship.
- Life insurance and disability benefits.
About Symmetry Systems
Symmetry is a new kind of security company. We apply machine learning with precision and speed to help our customers better understand and protect their large fleets of data stores and applications. Our goal is to provide visibility and actionability to engineering organizations and security teams globally responsible for managing data and identity management risk. We do all of this without impacting developer productivity, while creating symmetry and balance between Engineering and Security teams.
We are a kind and trustworthy team. We believe in a blameless culture, focused on working together toward one mission and goal. We take pride in our work and apply a craftsmanship rigor to building our product each and every day.
- Machine Learning
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.