Torch is looking to modernize the $20bn dental supply market with an intelligent platform that gives practices a single interface for all of their purchasing needs. Our software automatically optimizes purchasing decisions and introduces huge improvements in logistic efficiency, allowing our customers to focus on what they do best: providing quality patient care. We also pools demand and practice data to unlock enormous savings on our users’ behalf.
Our founding team has engineering and business experience at Blackstone, SmartAsset, Dropbox, and Datadog, from schools including MIT and Harvard.
We've seen 10x growth over the past year, and to the best of our knowledge, we are the only venture-backed company currently targeting this enormous opportunity. We believe that we are poised for even more growth as we scale.
We have over $10mm in funding by strong VCs like Bessemer Venture Partners and FJ Labs, giving us plenty of ability to scale over the coming years. Our investors also include some world-renowned leaders in the dental space, giving us the ability to benefit from their knowledge and perspective.
The company sets goals on a monthly basis, with the input from all departments, including engineering. Once those goals are set, the engineering team works in weekly sprints to accomplish the goals in priority order. We aim for each individual engineer to have significant responsibility for at least one high priority monthly goal, in addition to smaller tweaks, bugfixes, and the like.
The engineering team itself is based in NYC, and is currently five people (including the CTO). Although we’re a small company, we believe strongly in investing in our engineers’ career growth. Weekly 1-1s with the CTO, clear performance feedback, and periodic career development planning are all important parts of the engineering culture at Torch.
We believe in giving engineers impactful work that is critical to the company success and will allow them to stretch their abilities. Engineers work in collaboration with the product and operations teams to scope out requirements and have wide latitude to make design decisions. We believe in “lowercase-a” agile, trusting individuals to understand and own their tasks and communicate as necessary with relevant stakeholders. To keep up on track day-to-day, we have daily standups alongside the operations team and use Kanban for tracking progress.
Torch abstracts an extremely complex e-commerce flow, providing our users a a simple, trustworthy surface that just works. To enable this, many complex process go on behind the scenes, including:
- Maintaining comprehensive and up-to-date data data on the marketplace for dental products
- Managing integrations with a number of third party ordering, shipping, and logistics systems, plus the tools and workflows that keep those integrations reliable.
- Leveraging individual usage history to surface good personalizations
- Building workflow management tools to ensure that we can provide good quality customer service at 100x our current scale.
- Mining our data for personalization insights that we can feed back into production.
Build a next generation product search service with features like personalization, faceting, and better feedback mechanisms for improving quality over time.
Re-engineer our logic for automatically fulfilling order based on individual preferences, item availability, practice location, and other individual factors.
Evolve our customer service platform as we look to scale our order volume 10x. We’ll need to use a number of techniques to maintain a high the quality of service, including NLP and other techniques to triage incoming messages.
We have four core principles:
- Jaw-dropping customer experience - Everything we work on should focus on customer value
- Urgency - We have a unique and large opportunity; be resourceful and find creative solutions to keep moving forward
- Data Driven - Ruthlessly prioritize, basing your decisions on objective and measurable criteria
- Open Mindedness - Respectful, collaborative environments breed the best ideas
Unlimited PTO for all employees.
Snacks are available in the office, and in the event you find yourself staying after 7pm, dinner is on the company.
The company covers competitive health and (naturally) dental insurance.
Commute subsidies available through WageWorks.
The team has monthly outings on top of the usual spur-of-the-moment happy hours.
Interested in this company?
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.