Senior Data Engineer
- San Francisco, CA, United States
- Silicon Valley, CA, United States
About the Role
We're looking for an experienced Data engineer to join our team at Unit21. We ingest a high quantity of data (up to 2 million transactions/second) formed in unique patterns (for each customer) that need to accessed and analyzed in a performant manner. The key problems we face on a day-to-day basis are performance, reliability, and flexibility at scale, and the ideal candidate will have experience with discovering and implementing practical, innovative solutions.
Data engineers at Unit21 are software engineers with a deep understanding of data flows and distributed processing. We work on building processing pipelines to support our mission critical needs as well as scaling the infrastructure to meet our future expected workloads. You will architect data solutions which scale well as well as own the end-to-end implementation of such systems which power data needs for other teams. You are expected to contribute to the infrastructural aspects of data engineering, such as working with modern infrastructure-as-code frameworks to provision cloud services. You will tune, troubleshoot and scale our systems using these technologies, where having the curiosity to understand the internal workings of such systems is key to being successful.
Our engineering team is low process and high autonomy - we emphasize decision-making and prioritization by folks who own the work. As a result, you'll be expected to get familiar with how the product works, get into the mindset of the customer, and influence the decisions made regarding what you build. Additionally, you'll have a significant say in what you work on, and will be expected to prioritize the most meaningful work for the company. Members of our engineering org are curious, humble, and focused on execution; if you embody these qualities and want to surrounded by like-minded people, this is the place for you.
What we're looking for
- 3+ years of professional experience with Python (or similar)
- Strong understanding of distributed systems architecture and data processing
- Strong understanding of major database systems e.g. Relational, NoSQL, etc
- Experience with API design and optimization, building performant machine-to-machine services
- Hustle, curiosity, humility
Bonus Points (Preferred qualifications)
- Bachelor's/Master's degree in Computer Science or related fields
- Experience of building ETL off of databases (such as RDBMS, distributed datastore) and data warehouses (such as Snowflake, BigQuery)
- Strong understanding of distributed messaging systems such as Kafka, Solace etc.
- Cloud experience - preferably with AWS
- Proficiency in one of the large-scale data processing frameworks; such as Scala, Apache Beam, Hadoop or Dask, or working with data lakes using SQL or other data query languages.
- Self-directed, thrives in ambiguity and willing to collaborate cross-team
What we can offer you
- Competitive salary and pre-IPO stock options
- 100% company-paid medical, dental and vision insurance (for employee)
- Optional HSA and FSA medical reimbursement accounts
- Unlimited paid time off
- Generous leave programs for life events
- Charity matching
- Annual Learning & Development stipend
- One-time Home office set-up stipend
- Commuter benefits
- Wellness Bundle: One Medical, Headspace, Gympass and Carrot Fertility
- Happy hours and team-building events
- Great office space in the San Francisco Financial District
- Fully stocked kitchen
- Lunch and dinner provided in SF office at least 3x per week
- A great company culture with a strong emphasis on diversity, equity and inclusion
Unit21 protects businesses against adversaries engaging in money laundering, fraud, and other sophisticated risks by offering a no-code toolset to model, detect, and remediate suspicious activity. Our customers range from large Fortune 500 companies to high-potential, pre-launch startups. In 2020, customers uncovered over $80m in laundered money using our software.
We are an early-stage startup, well-funded by Google and other leading VCs, and growing rapidly. Our team believes deeply in fostering individual ownership, iterative product development, and empathetic communication. There are many challenging problems to solve in this industry, and a huge opportunity for our software to empower companies to define a new method of dealing with suspicious activity on their platforms.
We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. Unit21 is committed to creating an inclusive culture, and we celebrate diversity of all kinds.
Unit21 is an Equal Employment Opportunity/ Veterans/Disabled/LGBT and Affirmative Action employer. We are committed to diversity and building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
Unit21 provides detection and investigations software for companies to combat money laundering.
When engineers pick companies to work at, the most important but also most frequently overlooked aspect is mission alignment. Unit21's mission is to suppress organized crime by combating money laundering on financial platforms. This materializes today as anti-money laundering operations software used by teams of risk analysts across a variety of companies.
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.