Senior Front-end Engineer
- San Francisco, CA, United States
- $150k - $180k
- 0.023% - 0.023%
- AWS Batch
- AWS Athena
About the role:
The most successful companies understand that data and analysis are the foundation of any effective business strategy. Modern enterprises live and breathe data that they leverage through all sorts of dedicated analytics platforms: customer, product, supply chain, finance, etc. But until now, there’s never been an effective software solution to understand, measure, and optimize companies’ most important asset: their brand.
Survata is a venture-funded startup building the Brand Intelligence Platform. We offer a comprehensive set of tools that help our Fortune 100 clients understand and improve how they’re perceived in the marketplace, how aware consumers are of the value they provide, and how much consumers trust them to provide the value they promise.
Survata has already built an excellent backend system for gathering and statistically analyzing data on consumer sentiment. To fully unlock the power of our system, Survata now needs to build out a suite of interactive, visually compelling, self-serve analytical tools to help marketers ask and answer sophisticated strategic questions (and visually communicate their results to internal stakeholders).
Our Applications Engineering team is small but growing rapidly, and we need a Sr. Full Stack Engineer like you who can provide strong technical leadership to our ongoing effort to build a React/Redux-based dashboard that satisfies complex, data-intensive customer needs while remaining simple to use, efficient to build, and easy to extend and maintain.
This is an opportunity to have an immediate, pivotal impact on the development of a modern, professional-grade set of tools for data visualization and advanced statistical analysis. These tools will be used daily by some of the largest companies in the world to directly guide how they invest hundreds of millions of dollars of marketing budget (with that amount growing more than 100% year-over-year).
As a Full Stack Engineer, you’ll have opportunities to work across our frontend, our API backend, and also (if you’re interested) on our data pipelines (which handle billions of events per month) or our statistical pipelines (which apply cutting-edge causal inference methods to our high-quality, high-signal data).
- You have experience with end-to-end development of powerful, intuitive, highly-functional products for professional end users. You understand the various philosophies of API design and have informed opinions on their respective strengths and weaknesses. You’ve built robust, high-quality API-consuming applications before (whether single-page web apps, mobile apps, or cloud-powered desktop apps).
- You deeply understand and enjoy programming. You’re familiar with the modern landscape of interface frameworks, web/API frameworks, and databases. You know which frameworks to use, when, in what combinations (and when not to use a framework at all).
- You value and practice rigorous engineering methodology. You believe that well-structured code, comprehensive testing, and solid engineering methodology are a must.
- You have strong opinions about what makes a good API. As a full-stack engineer, you’ll both build and consume our Groovy-on-Grails-based API.
- You like solving real-world business problems. Our clients use our data to make their businesses more effective, and you’ll use your skills to turn theoretical ideas into concrete tools and improvements that will help Survata satisfy our clients. You should enjoy collaborating with Product on specs and designs that solve real needs and will delight end users.
- You’re humble. You understand that you’ll be responsible for making sure we end up with great systems by making sure the best ideas win, even if those ideas aren’t yours.
- You’re curious. You care about understanding the world around you and want to learn more about why it works the way it does.
- You’re the type who fixes problems instead of worrying about who’s responsible for fixing them. You own and take responsibility for your actions and your work and you want to stake out a meaningful area of expertise within the constant swirl and change of startup life.
- You believe that well-oiled, high-trust teams are more effective than the sum of their parts. You know that participating effectively in a team takes deliberate effort and compassionate, effective, and non-violent communication. Survata works hard to foster a welcoming, inclusive climate where people feel safe and supported and actually want to work with each other. You’re comfortable being evaluated for what you add to the team, not just what you add to the codebase.
- At least some experience building tools to visualize and explore large, dense datasets.
- Experience working with React/Redux.
- Experience working with Groovy-on-Grails and MySQL.
- Experience at a startup or fast-growing company.
- Experience building quality products for demanding professional end users.
- Experience with marketing technology, advertising technology, or market research companies.
Survata is the only accurate way to measure the effectiveness of online brand advertisement.
Direct response ads (e.g. AdWords) are easy to measure: either people click or they don't. But have you ever clicked a banner ad about a new salad dressing, or a video ad about how your local utility is
more than just a power company? Neither have we, and neither has anyone else.
Companies spend billions of dollars on brand advertising without any way of knowing whether the advertising is working. Survata is the first tool that can tell brand advertisers whether their money is well-spent.
We're able to measure advertising impact by integrating with a broad network of websites and mobile apps who allow visitors to answer questions to unlock premium content (like an extra life in a mobile game) instead of paying money. By integrating with the advertising ecosystem, we're able to serve targeted surveys to visitors who we known have seen specific ad campaigns in the past. By comparing these
exposed responses to
control responses from visitors we know haven't been exposed, we're able to directly quantify the impact of the advertising.
Measuring ad impact at scale involves substantial challenges: we have to track and process billions of ad exposures each month. We have to use careful experimental design and rigorous statistics to ensure that we correctly identify the actual causal impact of the ads, and predict the impact of in-flight optimizations to ongoing campaigns. And we have to visualize the results of our measurement through a dashboard that is powerful, professional, and intuitive enough to allow marketers to understand and trust our recommendations about how to shift hundreds of millions of dollars of marketing spend each year.
Survata is big enough to have a solid team, ample funding, and a long list of happy customers. But we're small enough that there's room for you to own a substantial portion of our architecture, to tackle new and interesting technical challenges as we scale, and to have a clear, major impact on the trajectory of our technical systems and on the company's overall success.
We're a bunch of nerds who place a high premium on curiosity and are very serious about using the best methodology and working with the highest quality data. We're big believers in collaboration and we maintain a friendly, high-trust culture where no jerks are tolerated and you're appreciated for who you are and are rewarded for helping make your whole team more successful.
We also strive to create a diverse and inclusive environment where people of any background are welcome and safe.
- AWS Batch
- AWS Athena
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.