Senior Back-End Engineer
- San Francisco, CA, United States
- Silicon Valley, CA, United States
- Ruby on Rails
About the Role
VoiceOps is looking for an enthusiastic, driven, and capable Senior Back-End Engineer with a desire to push the state of the art. In this role you will contribute to applications and systems that transform the way call centers do business. Our ideal candidates have spent several years architecting, implementing, and deploying robust services and applications with an emphasis on data.
- Design, build, and maintain performant, reliable web services and applications
- Make architectural decisions for a growing distributed system
- Evaluate, implement, and optimize data stores for a variety of customer, application, and machine learning data
- Champion best practices for testing, code quality, continuous integration/delivery, and documentation
- Actively contribute to code and design reviews alongside other engineers
- Mentor other engineers in back-end development practices
- Contribute feedback to product and engineering processes
- 5+ years of professional experience with: Ruby, Python, JS/Node, Elixir, Go, or similar languages
- Experience creating, monitoring, and maintaining public facing APIs
- Previous work with relational and non-relational (NoSQL) data stores such as PostgreSQL, ElasticSearch, and Redis
- Comfortable breaking down and modeling complex data
- A BS/MS in computer science or related field of study, or equivalent experience
- Proven ability to communicate ideas to technical and non-technical colleagues
- Experience designing, building, and maintaining distributed or event-driven systems
- Experience migrating from monolithic to service-based architectures
- Experience working on SaaS or ML / NLP focused products
- Prior experience designing, implementing, or integrating authentication and authorization libraries and services
- Exposure to container-based development and deployments
- Prior experience with AWS or similar cloud providers
- You have strong opinions about technology and the facts to back it up
- You welcome healthy but respectful debate
- The thought of code sitting undeployed for more than a week sends shivers up your spine
- You are interested in helping choose the technology for the future of a company
- You have a proven ability to mentor others and raise the bar for an engineering team
VoiceOps uses AI to improve call center rep performance with world-class coaching.
Our average customer makes tens of thousands of calls per week. In a world without VoiceOps, they have literally no idea what their sales reps are doing on the phone. It's a total (and scary) black box.
By applying ML and a great UI to this problem, call center leadership has all the data they need about customer conversations at their fingertips, and can coach their reps more effectively and efficiently.
The technical problem is interesting, and gets more interesting as we grow. Our core challenge is how to take billions of audio recordings (and messy, unstructured human conversations) and make sense out of that data in a way that is: a) accurate b) cost efficient, and c) highly scalable. The corresponding product problem is how to take well-structured data and make it actionable for the end-user.
Call center recordings are one of the richest/largest untapped datasets in the world (literally, billions of calls stored in AWS buckets that no one is touching right now). We're going to be the best in the world at structuring that data and putting it to use to make businesses work better.
Every problem is our problem
We do not look to external sources for why we didn't hit a deadline, meet an objective, etc. We hold ourselves responsible.
Intellectually honest and curious
We challenge each other's ideas daily - on product strategy and beyond. At lunch we are more likely to talk philosophy than TV (though we do some of that too)
Emotionally open and vulnerable
We talk about the ups and the downs of our lives outside of work and strive to have high authenticity interactions with each other.
We work hard to be an enduring company that paves the way for all sorts of applications which require structuring verbal conversational data at scale.
High quality bar, and always rising
We redo our work again and again until it's great. (can be frustrating in the moment but is ultimately extremely rewarding when we build things that are greater than we imagined they would be)
- Ruby on Rails
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.