- Ruby on Rails
Who Are We?
- Our Mission: Increase government transparency and cultivate a more connected, empowered society through the use of modern technology. We're building the first
gatewaythat helps businesses and individuals make sense of messy government data.
- Why: Corporations, lobbyists, non-profits, and individuals alike are still using spreadsheets and archaic government websites to understand how bills impact their industry. They deserve a 21st century tool that streamlines how we make sense of pending legislation, and enables a more transparent and accessible lobbying process.
- Investors: $2.3M+ pre-seed led by WndrCo, Motivate Venture Capital, Amplify.LA, StageVP, Billy Draper/Path Ventures, Dan Offner (General Counsel of Oculus when sold to FB), Jarl Mohn (Founder of E! & Former CEO of MTV & NPR), Nick Allen (Founding Product Designer at Snapchat), Saikat Chakrabarti (Founding Engineer at Stripe, Former Chief of Staff to U.S. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, and President of New Consensus), Hon. Tony Coelho (Former Congressman, US House Majority Whip, & Primary Sponsor of American Disabilities Act), and Adele Rom (Former VP of Human Resources at JPMorgan Chase & Co, and Former Head of People-Ops at Riot Games).
- Team: Passionate and Hungry (both literally and figuratively) Engineers looking to build cool stuff to benefit all citizens!
- Where: We're based in sunny Los Angeles, but are a primarily remote team hiring nationwide.
Who Are You?
We are seeking a passionate, talented Full-Stack Software Engineer with a positive attitude, and drive to re-imagine the intersection between tech and government. As an early member of the engineering team, you will have the chance to shape a considerable size of our architecture, and have an impact on our system design, development process, and overall culture as Abstract continues to grow. The role consists of a wide range of responsibilities regarding the way the Front-end and Back-end API services of Abstract are built, maintained, and iterated on.
You will be joining a team of 4 engineers passionate about making government more transparent and accessible via high-performance systems that are relied on by countless organizations for their daily work. You will work closely on a daily basis with the product, design, and marketing teams to help achieve the business' goals and priorities.
- 3+ years of relevant work experience (based off of the description above)
- Both client-side and server-side development on a cross-functional team
- Development with modern web technologies
- Design and query data models through an ORM
- Focus on continuous integration and delivery, testing, and versioning/source control
- Ability to pick up large codebases with multiple languages quickly, and learn as you go
- Experience with Docker & Kubernetes. (so we can move away from Docker & Kubernetes...)
- Experience with Terraform
- Experience handling Python, both the language and the actual animal
- 10+ years experience with
- #TODO: add another requirement to make our posting look intimidating
What You'll Do in the Short-Term
- Continue refactor of frontend application's component library.
- Set up performance monitoring and analytics in applications.
- Set up CI/CD pipeline for applications.
- Work with design & back-end teams to build and integrate components for new features onto the platform in a manner that supports sudden spikes of user traffic.
- Work with Marketing & Engineering teams to implement discoverable pages and directories for SEO purposes.
What You'll Do in the Long-Term
- Takes into consideration diversity, inclusion, and equity in every decision.
- Work closely with the design team to contribute to and maintain Abstract's design language and common components.
- Wear multiple engineering hats — be willing to contribute to different sides of the stack.
- Willing to set up and lead meetings to get any assigned tasks done.
- Maintain constant communication, and complete monthly performance reviews, with the CTO.
- Give & receive feedback with leaders of respective departments (both directions).
- $100,000 - $155,000 Annual Salary
- Favorable Equity
Perks and Benefits
Autonomy & Transparency
- Full autonomy in a high-growth startup.
Available Health Insurance Policies
- CCSB Kaiser Permanente Platinum HMO 0
- CCSB Kaiser Permanente Gold HMO 250
- CCSB Blue Shield Gold On-Exchange 350
Unlimited PTO & Sick Leave
- Note: during the probation period (3 months), it is highly recommended that the candidate take no more than 5 days of PTO so that both parties are able to get a sense of the workload and whether the candidate it a good fit for the role.
- Abstract believes that employees should have the freedom to manage their work and personal obligations as they see fit. Accordingly, employees can take as many personal days as they need, subject to advance manager approval and adequate coverage of work responsibilities. No specific amount of time off is guaranteed, vested, or accrued under this policy.
- Time off under this policy is not considered “hours worked” for purposes of calculating overtime pay for nonexempt employees.
- Sick leave days are included within this discretionary leave policy, but leave under FMLA, ADA, and workers’ compensation is separate.
- Employees are strongly encouraged to take at least 2
personal weeksevery year to relax and recharge. Employees may not take more than 1 consecutive week off under this policy at any time.
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Presidents' Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Columbus Day (Indigenous People's Day)
- U.S. Election Day
- Veterans Day
- Christmas Day
If interested, email us your resume at firstname.lastname@example.org
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Our Mission: Increase government transparency and cultivate a more connected, empowered society through the use of modern technology. We're building the first
gateway that helps businesses and individuals make sense of messy government data.
Why: Corporations, lobbyists, non-profits, and individuals alike are still using spreadsheets and archaic government websites to understand how bills impact their industry. They deserve a 21st century tool that streamlines how we make sense of pending legislation, and enables a more transparent and accessible lobbying process.
Investors: $2.3M+ pre-seed led by WndrCo, Motivate Venture Capital, Amplify.LA, StageVP, Jarl Mohn (Founder of E! & Former CEO of MTV & NPR), Nick Allen (Founding Product Designer at Snapchat), and Hon. Tony Coelho (Former Congressman & Primary Sponsor of American Disabilities Act.
Team: Passionate and Hungry (both literally and figuratively) Engineers looking to build cool stuff to benefit all citizens!
Where: We're based in sunny Los Angeles, but are a primarily remote team hiring nationwide.
- Ruby on Rails
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.