XIX is the San Francisco-based startup building a new kind of a search tool that makes objects on images and video searchable. Think search engine but instead of webpages we have images and instead of keywords and URLs we have objects and people. XIX’s first users are non-profits that fight human trafficking and child exploitation.
The company is backed by venture capital firms including Y Combinator, LSVP as well as individuals including Ian Goodfellow, Arjun Bansal, Mike Goguen and many others.
At XIX, you’ll have world-class colleagues and a flexible work environment. We don’t punch a clock, offer unmetered vacation time, and value our employees’ comprehensive well-being.
Our product actually saves lives. The number of saved victims and children is a metric we optimize for.
Funded by top AI researches and VCs.
We create technology: ML models, frameworks and tools are built in-house.
Our release cycle is two weeks. Every release consists of two weekly sprints. On Fridays, we discuss the past sprint and plan the sprint for the next week. We also carefully check our performance and velocity of sprints and iterate it. JIRA and Github are our primary tools. Every Monday we do all-hands where we sync up on what has happened past week beyond engineering, review upcoming sprint and get back to work
Our product is vertically integrated: we procure the data, run them through the zoo of custom ML models (facial recognition, object detection and classification) and then store and index them. On top of that is React app that enables querying the content inside images.
Every step presents its own engineering challenge and more often than not we end up building our own internal tools to handle it.
Object detection on satellite imagery, detecting and classifying 60+ object classes. Classes are imbalances which represent the major challenge
Large-scale scraping of Instagram data
Face recognition, re-identification, and clustering at scale
There are several key attributes that stand out within XIX:
- We hire for culture first
- We gravitate towards hard problems and optimizing for doing the right thing vs cutting corners. We tend to sacrifice short term gain for long term impact. We love working with long-term people.
- Every team member can be characterized by having three traits:
- Courage. More often than not we take on a challenge that is bigger than any individual person.
- Curiosity. Drawing inspiration from other areas by learning new skills. Roman, CTO, just recently learned how to pick the locks, for example :)
- Being humble.
- We have the company's mission, as well as, the mission for our team. We are optimizing for building the credential organization, so that when a team member leaves, the line on their CV with the work at XIX provides 10-20% premium on top of market salary.
Productivity over hours. Our team is in different time zones, so we largely optimize for the output vs hours
We offer immigration services for candidates who can qualify for O-1 visa
ML conferences are fully sponsored e.g. NeuRIPS, ICLR, ICML
Health and dental insurance
Interested in this company?
Skip straight to final-round interviews by applying through Triplebyte.